eMac monitor flickers

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by madmaxmedia, Nov 26, 2004.

1. macrumors 68030

Dec 17, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi all,

My eMac monitor intermittently flickers, and I can't find the reason. I assume there is something interfering with it. such as another electrical device. I have a printer, but moved it away. I have a lamp, but it's off and never interfered with the eMac before.

Is there anything else that could cause this? When I started writing this post, it was flickering. Now it's not. There, it just started again.

PS The resolution is at 1152 x 864, with a refresh rate of 80 (the only available setting at this resolution.)
  2. *Y*
    macrumors regular

Oct 19, 2004
    I had the same problem with my eMac. I called Apple and they couldn't help me. Then somebody suggested that the problem might be my electricity outlet. I bought one of those power surge protectors and have not had a single problem since. I thought meybe this will be helpful to you. :D
  3. macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    Can you see if it times with an event, like somebody turning on something? I know when running an electric iron, every-time the iron starts to heat up (even after being on for a while) it will draw sufficient power to dim the lights.
  4. macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2004
    South Eastern MA
    It's probably the speakers. My eMac gets all weird and flickery when I play music and such. Somehow they were designed with the speakers too close to the monitor or something. You know what magnets do to CRTs.
  5. thread starter macrumors 68030

Dec 17, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks all- I found it!

Thanks for the advice all, I found the problem!

Believe it or not, the oven was on (my wife was baking cookies) and I am pretty sure it was causing the interference (my eMac is on the kitchen counter, a foot or 2 away from the oven.) I turned it off, and the flicker stopped immediately.

I also notice the flicker sometimes when playing music, but this one was strange because that was the first thing I stopped.

Haven't noticed any flicker since then...