eMac not booting from CD to reinstall Panther

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigandy, Nov 18, 2004.

1. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I've got an eMac sitting here and it had Tiger until a huge arse-over-expletive incident earlier this morning. I couldn't boot it so wiped the hard drive using the FireWire target disk mode.

I then tried to boot from various Panther discs, and none of them will actually take at the boot - they show up the (now rather annoying) little mac folder switching between the mac logo and a question mark. For some odd reason my laptop (PB 15 FW800) running Tiger won't boot from any Panther discs either.

Has Tiger updated the BIOS and killed any support for booting earlier OS X version installers?

I'm really quite angry at myself as I need this machine now for some important work next week and desperately need it to be working - is there anything I can do?

All Apple support seem to be saying so far is try again and again. It just doesn't boot :(

I tried running Carbon Copy Cloner in a vain attempt to clone my PB hard drive to the eMac and at least get it running - it comes up [error_getting_local_disks, Can't get paragraphs 2 thru -1 of "".] I click OK and get [no_drives_available] and the great option of "Quit".

Aaarrrggghhh! I'm so damn angry at it it's edging closer and closer to the window.

Is there anything anyone can suggest? Short of getting Apple to take it away and fix it to factory settings?

:(

2. bigandy thread starter macrumors G3

bigandy

just found out that the cds all boot in another PANTHER machine - is this a Tiger thing then?

What can I do to get it back to Panther?

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I'll go ahead and ask the obvious.

You are holding down C?
    You are trying to use the CDs that came with the pbook?

4. bigandy thread starter macrumors G3

bigandy

yup. been there done that, got the tshirt, thrown it out of the window when it didn't work... :(

5. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Are you using an Apple Restore disk that came with a machine, or are you using a boxed version of Panther? If you are using a Restore disk, make sure its the one for that eMac, otherwise it may not work. If it's a boxed version of Panther... I'm clueless. :confused:

Good luck,

Tim

6. bigandy thread starter macrumors G3

bigandy

Have tried both boxed and the one that came with the machine...

:(