Emac or Imac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by damson34, Sep 10, 2002.

1. damson34 macrumors 6502

I have a little delimma. I Recently got a 1400 dollar gift certificate for compusa and I wanted to buy a new apple since I was sick of my ibook. Well I dont quite have enough to get the nice iMac with the combo-drive but i do have enough to get the Emac with the combo - Drive. I really like the Imac though. Any thoughts on which one is better. I would like to have a dvd rom drive but as I said before really like the Imac. Any thoughts would help as I am making my purchase tomorrow. Thanks Alot.
    Derek

2. 3777 macrumors 6502

Re: Emac or Imac

Which is better? eMac!!! I love the eMac!!!

Which should you get? You should get the one you want, iMac.

3. damson34 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah but i really want the one that works best, functionality most important. I have a dvd player in my room and i dont know if there is a big need for one on my computer.

4. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

All I can say is I know two people that own new iMacs, and they absolutely love them. I talked to them about the eMac and they liked it, but they said the extra money was definetly worth it for the swivel screen and the "Oooo, Ahhh..." factor they get from everyone :)

5. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

both computers have the same guts, its just a matter of which kind of monitor you want. some people dont like the color of lcd monitors, so just check them both out at comp-usa. the insides are the same (unless you want the gforce4 of the imac, the emacs only have a gforce2) so monitors are the only real difference.

6. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

I have a PowerBook 140 that is still strong about 10 years later, and a 180c that's been around a while too!

7. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

you're right nipsy, my dad still has a really old apple laptop (b&w with a 68k, and he still uses it every day!) and the screen is fine. i was talking to a friend about plasma tvs and he said that they dry up after a while, but i had my doubts. have no fear, with a little orwellian magic i'll erase that comment and change the past.

8. bombensington macrumors regular

i have an imac, and i must say it is REALLY nice to be able to move the screen around so easily.

that in itself made the choice for me, really, especially since i share a computer.

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(unless you want the gforce4 of the imac, the emacs only have a gforce2) so monitors are the only real difference.

Careful, membrane. Read this straight from Apple:

"iMac models with the 15-inch LCD display come with the NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics processing unit."

[​IMG]

And, considering his budget is under $1400 I don't think a 17 inch iMac will do it.

Although the eMac is listed as having a 17 inch CRT display it's really 15 inches viewable. With the eMac you get the cheaper CRT, plus a higher resolution. With the iMac, you get a full 15 inch display (again, $1400 budget).