Emac or Powermac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by FF_productions, Jun 22, 2005.

1. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I'm interested in switching to the mac--but to start off I want to get a mac under 1000 dollars. I've been searching the net (ebay) for G4 Powermacs and Emacs...The thing i like about the powermac is how upgradable it is, the emac isn't..The Emac is an all-in-one machine, with powermac just being the tower..I'd be using this computer for video editing, maybe I will upgrade later in the future, but for now this is my first adventure in the Mac (video editing) world...

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

what do you think you might upgrade in the future? cause if its the processor you might want to ugprade, the upgradeability fo the powermac may nto be a big deal depending on the one you get. It seems unlikely that a G5 upgrade will be made for a G4 computer and the same goes for an intel upgrade when those finally come about.

I'd also point out that dumping a bunch of money into an upgrade may not be worth it when you could probably get a used computer in the future for not too cmuh money (and you coudl sell the mac you get now) that would be better in every way, not just the processor.

If you're just playing around right now, personally, I'd just get an eMac and see how it goes. But it depends on how serious you want to be with the video editing thing. And if you're really serious, you probably want a G5 computer anyway.

Another possibility, by the way is a used iMac g5. You should be able to find those for around a grand, and they'd be more capable than the eMac, and G4 tower maybe.

3. themacman macrumors 6502

go with either a refurb imac g5 or even if you can find it a single 1.6 powermac G5

4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

For under a $1000 get either a new eMac or a Mac mini and monitor, The low end G5 is not great and the processor doesnt have much over the top end eMac processor...

ShadOW :cool:

5. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

if you have a decent monitor already, i honestly wouldn't take a 2nd look at the eMac. it's fine for everyday stuff, but i gotta think that a dual G4 or refurb G5 would do MUCH better for video editing.

also, two things that you'll need soon down the road are more RAM & more hard drive space. w/ a tower, you can slap a couple hard drives in there for storing all that video.

i've never used an eMac more than just playing a game on it at the Apple store, but i would check ebay for a good dual G4 or single G5. spend any extra $$ on RAM and start editing!! enjoy...

6. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

yea this is a starting video editing computer for me-G5 and the more high-end stuff will be for the future..

7. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

on ebay i'm finding tons of dual g4's for under 800 dollars--I've got the monitor (i might get one for free) and I have no problem upgrading it...

8. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

excellent. in my view, even though the eMac isn't that expensive & the CRT that's built into isn't THAT much of the total cost, part of your price is still being wasted on a built in monitor. if you already have that piece, spend your $1k on the CPU & upgrades, not more monitors... ;)

i have a dual 1.25 G4 and a SP 1.6 G5 and i don't see much difference in processor power. i see a MUCH bigger jump in performance w/ i throw more RAM into a machine. speaking of which, i brought some new RAM to work to put into this computer....time to shut down & install!!