eMac Outpacing a Pentium M?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sean7512, May 4, 2006.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

I think that I am losing my mind! My almost 2 year old 1.25 ghz G4 seems to be running faster than my < 1 year old 1.6 ghz Pentium M laptop. I know, it seems to not be possible. Here are the specs...

eMac
    1.25 ghz G4
    1GB Ram
    32 MB ATI 9200??
    Superdrive
    Mac OS 10.4.6

Gateway Laptop
    1.6 ghz Pentium M
    1.5GB Ram
    128 MB INTEL Shared graphics
    CDR-DVD
    Win XP Pro with all updates

Ever since I got my laptop, it never seemed to be as snappy as my eMac. Yesterday, I did a very unscientific test. On my mac, I have Photoshop CS and on my laptop, Photoshop 7. Both have only 2 filters installed (KPT and Eye Candy). I simultaneously opened both at the same time. My mac outpaced my laptop greatly. I tried it with Word (Office X and Office XP), same result even. I think what is screwing it up is that darn "Speed Step." As My Computer shows it running at 500 mhz. Is there a way to disable that thing? Even when my laptop is plugged in, and the power profile is on "Minimal Power Management" it still is showing like 500 mhz :( Can anyone help me get my laptop up to speed?

Edit:
    I have 1.5 GB of Ram in my laptop to compensate for the max of 128mb of shared video memory..so that CANNOT be the problem. Also, I wasn't sure which forum to post this to..if inappropriate here, moderator please move, thanks!

2. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

3. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think the hard-drive is the culprit either. My eMac I'm guessing is 7200 RPM (Anyone, can confirm??) My laptop is 5200. The speed difference cannot be the hard-drive, because the difference is REALLY bad. It even seems "un-snappy" after programs are open. I wish I could just turn off that speed step, so "My Computer" shows 1.6 ghz.

4. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

5. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone have any ideas on how to get my laptop up to speed, please??

6. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

This comes as no surprise to me, I have always found G4's to be super fast, I can't notice much difference in terms of processing power on my iBook (1.33ghz) to my G5 iMac....

The G5 is faster but I attribute this to the better graphics card and faster HD other than that when ripping CD's etc they do it all at roughly the same speed....

Therefore It is definatly feasible that a G4 eMac would outpace a 1.6ghz Pentium M....

SHadOW

7. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Take Windows off?;)

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Can you disable the power saving features of your laptop? I think your laptop may be trying to run at a slower clockspeed because it's in a laptop.

And Pentium M's are faster than G4s. ;) If you said a Pentium 4 in a laptop, then yeah, it's more believable. Pentium Ms are damn fast.

9. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I am trying to turn off the power saving for when it is plugged in. I am not sure how to do this...If I click on the battery and change the power scheme to "Minimal Power Management" it still shows as running at 500mhz. Does the speed step have to be disabled in the BIOS???