eMac potential

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by crowdaddy, Apr 13, 2004.

1. crowdaddy macrumors regular

Hey,

I am going to be buying a desktop (probably a mac) and a laptop (probably dell) for unviersity. Now that the eMac is beefed up a bit, do you think It would be able to run iLife and games like battlefield 1942 with decent performance? I am nervous about buying an eMac because I feel that It may not be powerfull enough, but the huge upside is the price. Any thoughts on this?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

With the adoption of the current DDR iMac/Book chipset it's finally on par with the iMac.

Finally it's a CRT iMac, before it was an all-in-one PowerMac (a really old one).

3. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Just a word of warning on the Dell laptops, I work for the IT department at a university and we see nothing but Dells coming in with problems. they are thick, loud, and fairly unreliable. I'm not going to say that you should fork out a ton of money for a powerbook, but if you are going PC, try IBM or HP. The IBM Thinkpad is pretty badass.

4. crowdaddy thread starter macrumors regular

I thought Dell was usually pretty good? I hear their customer service, in Canada where I live, is unsurpassed as well. I haven't heard much about IBM's or HP's, what are they like?

5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I'll go one more: Get the IBM or HP laptop for sure, but why do you even want an eMac at school? Go PC all the way unless there's some compelling reason you want the eMac. Gamer? Been enough said on these foruums that the point is moot by now. And further, If you don't NEED a PC on campus, why do you want one? This is all just rhetoric... ask yourself WHY, and you will have the answers you seek..... :)

6. crowdaddy thread starter macrumors regular

well ok, sorry for confusing you all, but I guess what I am looking for is the gaming, im not going to be up till 1am every morning playing counterstrike, but I still want to fool around with battlefield 1942 and NHL2004 when I have time. Have any of you tried out the Windows Media Centre edition setup?

Where i am torn is that i want the mac styling, user interface and iLife tinkering.

What should I do? Go PC lappy and forget about the Mac?

7. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I will try to give you the most accurate, unbiased response I can muster, after reading your dilemma....

GET THE MAC !! ! !!!!
    "forget" the PeeCee.

Geez.. I really tried to be unbiased :(

8. TheT macrumors 6502

If the games you wanna play are avaiable on a Mac, then go Mac. I would also wait for the iBook updates, if they one day get decent graphics...
    Well, I am not a gamer. My point is that the Mac would be the better choice, but only if it does what you want to do :)

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Why not buy a Mac laptop (like an updated iBook when they come out) and a desktop PC? Build your own or buy a cheapy PC with a warranty and upgrade it. That's what I'd do, but that's just me...

10. Mantat macrumors 6502a

I think I was a bit like you a while ago. I used to play computer like a mad man. But since I got my mac, I do so much more productive stuff! Creating music with garage band, DVD, etc... My opinion is that you should get the new eMac play with it during the summer and by that time you will know if you need or not a pc laptop (dont get Dell! They are the worst thing one can get for laptop, IBM and toshiba are the best). If you get the eMac, dont buy the ram from Apple, get it from anohter store but get the biggest HD you can, it will serve you well if you start playing with DVs...

And with the recent upgrade, I think that the emac is more than suited for recent non-top-of-the-line games and will perfectly fill your need to kill...

Once you bite the Apple, you never look back!