eMac, Questions

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Matt01792, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Matt01792 macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm a Windows user and don't know much about Macs. I'm currently deciding betwen an eMac and an iBook which I'm going to buy in the new year.

If you could answer any of my questions I'd very much appreciate it.

How easy is it to install extra memory?

How well to Macs work with Windows on networks? If a Windows PC is sharing an Internet connection would the eMac be able to access it?

Would it be possible (like I can with my PC) have a second monitor with my TV (not mirrored)? I know it'll unlikely be able to do this but still...

What are the dimensions of the eMac? I couldn't find them on the Apple website..

How much better is a G3 to a G4? Is it better at all/

Like I said if you could answer any of these I'd be very thankful.

Many thanks,
    Matt

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Memory's pretty easy to install in both. Buy it from a third party though as Apple charges too much for memory. I've always used Crucial.

Mac's work fine on windows networks from a file shares point of view. I've never used connection sharing as I have broadband and a network switch so it's platform agnostic.

The ibook has a video out which via an included adapter outputs a mirrored VGA output. I dunno about the emac.

The emac is about as large as a monitor it's about 17" in all directions (HWD) and weighs 50lbs. The specs are here

The G4 has a SIMD unit (similar to SSE or 3DNow only better and called altivec). In terms of raw processing power (non-SIMD) G3s and G4s are pretty similar but if an app is optimised for altivec it will run better on a G4. Mac OS X itself has altivec optimisations so will run better on a G4. Also the emac has a faster harddrive which will make it seem faster.

Essentially it comes down to do you want/need portability. The ibook is a great little machine (I have one) but the emac is more powerful and better value for money UNLESS you want portability. Portability costs money :(

3. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

I got an eMac for my kids this week and I have really enjoyed it. :) It's my first move to OS X and all I can is "Windows Sucks"

For a low end machine, it's really great. I've never been a fan of the "all-in-one" design ( I like to add things) but I can get used to it.

The only bad thing I found is that the keyboard cord is way too short for my desk set. It's fine if you set it right in front of the eMac. But I have the keyboard on a sliding keyboard drawer.

Here's another sidenote. The games that my kids play are all OS 9, so they run in Classic. They actually run better on the eMac under Classic than on my old computer (G3 400 upgrade) which boots from OS 9.

Get the 1.0 with the combo drive or the one with the SuperDrive. You won't be disappointed.

4. benjaminpg macrumors regular

Apple often ships a USB extension cable with their desktop machines. Check your box for one of these. It has a plug on one end and an outlet on the other and is a few feet long. You just plug your peripheral (the keyboard into the outlet) and plug the plug into the computer.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

There is an external monitor/TV-Out option. I think you have to buy the cables. They're about $20 each. Dual monitor is possible, but only with a hack.

See http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ for details.

6. Justin101 macrumors newbie

eMac, Questions

I am considering buying an eMac for movie editing using FCE; however, I have read that the eMac gets very hot, and in one case burned up. Can someone with and eMac comment on this. Thanks.

7. Matt01792 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

THanks everyone for answering my questions.

There is one more though. On my windows PC I leave it switched on 24/7. THat's mainly because if I switch it off it resets all the network and internet sharing settings (typical windows). Would it damage a eMac to leave it on all the time? Or is it best to turn it off?

And the other thing is, again about networks, can I set up a Mac to share an internet connection so other Windows PCs can access the net through it?

Many thanks,
    Matt.

8. Matt01792 thread starter macrumors member

And one other thing...

What resolution should I use the eMac on??? It's just the highest resolution stated on the Mac website seems very big for a 17'' screen...

Thanks,
    Matt

9. MisterG5 macrumors newbie

Yes...most people that use Macs don't generally turn them off, just put it to sleep and it will be fine. For the resolution, I generally use 1024x768, but I don't do a lot of graphic work and such so thats plenty of space for myself.

10. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Re: eMac, Questions

I don't think the eMac gets that hot. It is designed well. If a laptop can keep cool I think the larger eMac would be fine. I think it does have a fan unlike the old CRT iMacs which relied all on convection cooling. Maybe something went seriously wrong with the eMac you heard about burning up, but I don't think eMacs have problems with burning down, at least I have never heard that being an issue.

My iMac DV is getting long in the tooth. It still runs well and I actually removed OS9 from the HD to give me a little more space (10 GB is not much anymore with MP3's, MPEGS, etc.) I have 320 MB of RAM and it runs OSX Jag pretty well. I want an eMac to replace it. I am waiting until this winter. I think we will see a 1.25Ghz eMac by then and it might get a bigger HD and better graphics chip. I would love a G5, but I do not have the money and do not need something like that for what I do. There are a lot of people out there that would be fine with an eMac for the price. My only concern is that performance will not be that much better then my iMac with everyting I hear about how bad the G4's are. I would think Mhz alone though would provide one heck of a boost.

11. Matt01792 thread starter macrumors member

Do you know when the next update to the eMac will come out?