eMac Refurb lands!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Naimfan, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Well, after my adventures with Fedex Ground, the eMac has landed. I ordered a refurb one for my six year old--it was quite inexpensive (relatively). I ordered the 1 GHz, 40 Gb HD, 128 ram, combo drive model--it was $649.

Three pleasant surprises. First, it came with 256 meg of RAM, double what I was expecting. If I had known that, I might not have ordered the second 512 stick. Oh well-- a nice bonus. Second, it came with the new version of both iLife and Panther. As a refurb, I was expecting iLife 03. And third, it is quite a bit faster than I expected, and WAY faster than my Pismo. I know the RAM helps, but it is still a lot faster than I expected. Granted, I haven't run anything intensive on it, but a very pleasant surprise. Also, the machine LOOKS perfect--I never would have known it was a refurb. There is also no trace of a flicker on the CRT--though I will watch for that.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the machine. And my son will be delighted with it--he can do his first grade CDs, play Pirate Ship, etc. And it makes me think Apple really should keep the eMac in some form or fashion in it's lineup--it seems like a great way to introduce folks to the Mac.

So for those who have been thinking about an eMac--consider me a strong vote in favor!

Best,

Bob

2. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

yeah, both my girlfriend and my mom have eMacs

they are the most bang for your Mac buck. no questions. hands down.

in my experience (almost a year) they've been rock-solid. good choice

3. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Great choice. IMO, the eMac is the most sturdy and well-built apple computer. It also has some nice upgrade options for a consumer computer such as a second hard drive and the ability to over clock to 1.33ghz... but I dont think you want to risk your computer quite yet. :p

Definately the best bang for the buck.

4. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

That's great to hear because my refurb eMac is on the way (should be hear tomorrow from Sacramento according to FedEx).

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

awesome. i am a HUGE fan of the eMac... SUCH a good deal for the price. my grandparents just got one to keep in touch with all of us grandkids... perfect machine for them. i agree, i hope apple keeps it in the line in one form or another :D

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

my mom and brother have an emac at home, and they love it. Quite snappy, very stable. And so cheap! What a great machine. It's not the flashiest, but I think it's apple's best value (or the 12" ibook G4).