eMac Repair Extension Program FAILURE

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by z.j, Aug 24, 2006.

1. z.j macrumors newbie

So, here's the deal.

In August 2004, we bought a new eMac from Small Dog. We declined to purchase the AppleCare because we hadn't had any previous problems with my iPod, so we figured Apple was just a brand we could trust - didn't need to buy any extended warranty or anything.

Used it for a while, worked great with very minimal problems. Then, in May 2006, it suddenly broke down - wouldn't start. No nothing.

I consulted with friends, they said it was probably a broken power supply. We took it in to the genius bar, and said it was "very probably" the broken power supply, and that a replacement would run us more than $500.

Well, being the huge Apple fan I am, I convinced my mom to go buy a refurbished Intel iMac for ~$1200. She was extremely unwilling to do this, as she had just spent only a year and a half with her eMac before it broke and she was given nothing as a result of this. She wanted to finance it, however, she decided to just pay via credit card, because the bank Apple works with to finance computer purchases asked my mom personal questions that have absolutely nothing to do with her credit or financial situation. She left the site after one particularly shocking question, which I'm not going to reveal here.

The iMac worked great (and still is). Then, in June 2006, we find Apple's site about the eMac Repair Extension Program. We see that an affected serial number range is G8412-G9520. We look on our box, and, lo and behold, our serial number begins with G8489. We were very excited - free eMac repair! My mom was angry that we had bought the iMac (waste of $1200 to her now) but I convinced her not to return it.

We take it in to the Genius Bar, and they do a quick examination, and say, yes, it is "very probably" the same component failure. They seem very hesitatnt to do the fix though for some reason. They scout all around the box for reasons why they shouldn't go ahead with it. Finally they look at our serial number again, and conclude that we had read it wrong, the number was really G8409. I can see what they're talking about, the printing is really fuzzy, making 8's look like 0's.

Now we're really angry. They have identified it as the same component failure, but now they're refusing to fix it, even though we're 00003 out of range. (Sorry, don't know how to say that right. My main point is, we're extremely close to the "affected" range of serial numbers.)

So my mom is freaking out at Apple now (I don't blame her). After being on the phone with Apple support for more than an hour (some of whom had very bad English) she finally gets the manager to an offer. Apple agrees to pull our old hard drive out, take the data off, transfer it to the new computer, and then we're done. My mom agrees to it - two computers in the house would be nice, but we can do with the old data on the new computer.

Anyways, we lug the 48-pound computer into the Genius Bar for the third time, and take in the iMac as well, leaving us without a computer for two days. I wrote down a list for them: we needed Kathy's documents and Jake's movies. We didn't need Jake's music. We did want the AppleWorks application. Basically, we said "get everything unless I say not to get it, and this stuff is priority."

We get the iMac home. I asked for them to put all the new stuff in a new folder on my desktop. There is nothing like that. We search all everyone's documents, all our home folders, everything. We spotlight search the names of files on the eMac. The only thing whatsoever was three videos from my Lost collection. I know I had more than ten purchased Lost episodes on the eMac. Now I have three. How does that even happen?

So, we were thinking about just screwing it, paying the $500 to repair it, and just be done. We figured we had this computer sitting around with all our data, Apple certainly wasn't going to take it off for us, and the only way was just to pay to have it fixed.

Over the summer, I learned that my school was going to be providing me with a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop. Crappy, but usable. Then, just today, I learned I wasn't going to be getting the admin password to it. Basically, it's useless to me outside of school. Now we really want to get the eMac fixed again.

Extend the program - it's the same component failure, and we're only 00003 off! And I've read around - mine isn't the only similar problem - I know of at least three other cases where it has been identified as the same component failure, and people are very narrowly out of range.

So, here's the deal. I'm going to be frank about this. I want to expose my problem to people, to the media, to the forums, to the blogosphere, to wherever. Hopefully some people get beind me here and help me to get my eMac fixed finally!

Please help!

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

3 other cases hardly requires an extension on the eMac repair program.

Just deal with it is my suggestion.

And why you wouldn't get applecare is beyond me. I get applecare on all my computers I buy, just in case.

3. z.j thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm just saying, all I've heard of is three, I'm sure there's a lot more.

I bought AppleCare on the new iMac, and I'm probably going to be getting a new iPod soon - I'll buy it on that too.

4. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I understand your anger towards apple about a difference of 3 in the serial number, but if those are the serial numbers that apple specifies, then that is it. Unless you could get numerous (at least 100) cases of power adapter failure in emacs before their specified serial number, i doubt they would ever replace it. But if you feel like trying, go for it, and good luck.

5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

1) Get your receipt and make sure you are truly not within the range, if it's really that unreadable.

I am sorry about what has happened to you, but you do assume the risk by not taking the Applecare. Applecare is designed to make Apple money. Apples are solid, but there is always the chance your computer could go kaput. I justified not taking it by saying to myself "If my computer broke down, I'd probably want a new one anyway at that point". Your opinion may differ. You could shop around for lower prices at some of the non-Apple Store service centers. They might be able to do it for you for cheaper. Look on eBay for the messed up part and do it yourself.

2) [Last resort]: You can get your own data off the hard drive if it's that important to you. Just buy an external enclosure (should be cheap) and take apart the eMac (with the right tools).

Don't blame the workers, they can't magically bend the rules. They are just watching out for themselves.

6. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Why not check the serial number under the CD tray? Try and get a knife or something thin in the crease where the door flips down, and gently pull it open. Once its open a bit, grab and pull down with your fingers. Right on the inside of your door you'll find the serial number.