eMac reviews???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by linux2, Jun 8, 2002.

1. linux2 macrumors newbie

Does anyone have a hands-on experience with the eMac yet? Or perhaps I could be pointed to such a beast? Thanks

2. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Our Apple rep. brought one by our office (Educational Technology) last week and let me play with it for a few days.

My first surprise was the weight...this thing is wicked heavy! If I were at a school site settin' these things up, I'd want to make sure they stayed put for a long time!

The location of the AirPort card slot was also a surprise...behind the CD flap, then behind a thin bit of plastic that you need a small Phillips to unscrew. It took quite a shove to get the card seated, and snaking the antenna wire around and behind the slot was a bit of a trial.

The power button is odd...placed on the right side WAAAY back, and almost invisible due to the Snow color theme. (keeps kids from flippin' the machine on and off, I suppose) I welcome the absence of lots of holes on the top (less places to drop items in), and, of course, the screen size is very welcome.

Overall, I'm happy that there's this option in the Apple lineup. Several of our schools have purchased quite a number of them (and why not?! such a deal for what you get!) and I'll be monitoring the situation as the kiddies start pounding on them over summer and September. I know this "review" isn't exactly professional or in depth, but the machine will, of course, be in your neighborhood Apple store.:)

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I would think in a school setting(which I am in) it is better to have a heacy computer because it can't be knocked around as easy, and computers in schools don't move much so it is not much of a hassale.
    Also the power button on the back is good, because you don't want little kids turing them off, also my school never shuts off the computers they always are on. I don't know why they do this because it is a huge waste of electricity. It ain't a beast I would say its a gentle giant.

4. linux2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input voicegy, but I was looking for more of an actual use kind of thing ; )

5. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Does it have a fan or can I still cook my breakfast on it?

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I went into the Apple store last week and played with one and was very impressed. It was quite snappy (but consider I'm using a 667 MHz TiPB and 450 Sawtooth G4) so it doesn't quite compare to the dual 1GHz, but nice non the less. I think its definitely worth the money, the screen is a nice size, crisp and flat. The speakers are very good, great sound when playing iTunes. I didn't run any big apps like PS, but after playing with everything else I really didn't need to to make up my mind about it.

I even tried to convince my friend who was with me to buy one....

D

7. linux2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Now that. . .

is what I was looking for. The closest Apple store for me is 140 miles away (Chicago, IL). Specifically, the flat screen monitor is sharp with crisp text?

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

That sounds strange...Apple put the power button near the back, so that kids wouldn't press it often. But the bare vibrating silver of the internal Pro Speakers in exposed in the front, where enough force into the speakers could break it.

I guess Apple wants to teach kids another lesson with the eMac: Don't touch the music! :)

Fear the King.

9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Unlike my iMac which I could have a BBQ on, the eMac does have a fan.

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The screen was very nice, very flat and almost didn't seem right (too flat). Everything was crisp and clean, a decent res and like I said, quite snappy. If you're trying to figure out whether you want to buy one or not, for 1.1k, its a good deal and you'd have a decent machine that could last you for a few years doing general app stuff, photoshop, FCP etc...

11. linux2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds good. I was all set to buy the new iMac a couple of months ago, that is until my wife decided she needed a new car : ( I am finally ready and able to buy my first Mac now and am intrigued by the eMac. Yes flat panels are nice (I have a 18" Sony connected to my XP box), but I value screen real estate to. I really need to see first hand what all the fuss is about with regard to Macs. . . hehehe

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I would recommend taking a look at one first hand. The mac store shouldn't be the only place to sell them, would be my guess. Check around and see if CompUSA has them, that way you don't have to drive 140 miles to see one.

Good luck!

D

13. swahilibill macrumors 6502

Hello

But the bare vibrating silver of the internal Pro Speakers in exposed in the front, where enough force into the speakers could break it.

I guess Apple wants to teach kids another lesson with the eMac: Don't touch the music!

Actually, I was at the Apple store today, and there is a cover for the speakers. It is a small plastic grate that goes over them. They were kinda flimsy and weak, but it looked like it did the job. I wouldn't get one, it looks like a frosted nipple9like everybody lse has said). Plus, it compares in no way to the new iMac.

14. linux2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks dukestreet. Unfortunately, the closest Compusa is about 25 miles further away from the Apple store. I think those that compare it to a "frosted nipple" have some sort of mother complex. .lol

15. swahilibill macrumors 6502

Funny

real funny, mother complex, thats hilarious.

16. iGav macrumors G3

That's what I want to do..... they look so 2001 Space Odessey in the adverts...... and I know that I don't really like snow..... but for some reason.... I quite like the look of them......

Would suite my my bro down to the ground would one of these would......

17. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    actual "use" kind of thing

Oh, linux2, you wanted a review of actual USE, not just a "look and feel" review? Sorry...I get carried away with that part of Macs.

It's fast and the screen is brilliant and crisp.

There. I guess that just about wraps it up.:)

And if the nearest store to you is 140 miles away, take a picnic lunch and make a day of it...it's fun to go to the Apple store no matter what the excuse!

Another possibility...go to a school site near you and just ask the front office if they or another school in their district uses Macs, and if they have the model in question...I know if someone came to my district just to have a look at a particular Mac and get some hands-on, I'd gladly do so.