eMac speakers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by atacinus, Nov 24, 2004.

1. atacinus macrumors 6502

Oct 25, 2003
    New York City
    Hey, just wondering...i.m thinking about getting one of the eMacs...but i noticed when i went to the apple store that the plastic covering on the built in speakers was missing on almost every unit [the one that had them, they were broken]...is this normal? ...or is it just because they are a store and EVERYONE plays with them? anyone own an eMac ... does this happen?

2. zosma macrumors newbie

Aug 11, 2004
    I work with about 45 eMacs, none of them have broken speaker grills and they have been used in a lab situation for about 6 months now. I'm guessing in a store they probably get more abuse. As a side note I find that eMac speakers are not of the best quality. If sound is really important I recommend external speakers.
  3. H&Kie macrumors regular

Sep 19, 2004
    The original (1st generation) eMac had detachable covers on its speakers for better look and increasing sound quality) that could be pulled out, using eg. a bent paperclip. In later versions the covers were fixed. I owned a 2nd gen. eMac myself and had no problems due to loose covers. The sound was reasonable in my opinion, but as Zosma said, it isn't perfect.
  4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    The grills don't break easily, if thats what you are asking. And the new grills CAN be removed, you just need to put more effort into it. You have to take the machine apart to a degree.
  5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    My grills are still in but I use other speakers for better sound and less (shake) of the screen. Just looked at them and they do pull out but man is it tough to do.
  6. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2004
    Like someone else mentioned, the newest eMacs have non-removeable speaker grills.

But the sound is so bad from them, and they distort the monitor, so i'd HIGHLY advise getting external speakers if you want any sort of decent sound.