eMac Speed Bumps or G5 speculation?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by SteveC, Jan 8, 2005.

1. SteveC macrumors 6502

It has been over 270 days since the last eMac update--100 days longer than the average time between updates on the eMac. (Reference: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/)

A friend told me to expect eMac updates at MWSF. I'm curious to know if any of YOU have heard anything (rumor or definite) regarding eMac updates at MWSF or soon after. Do you think it's realistic/probable to see a 1.33-1.5 GHz (or higher) eMac G4 real soon? Considering it's been so long since updates...

I'm waiting to buy one. That's mainly why I ask, although I'm really curious, too. :)

What are your thoughts and feelings on taking the eMac to "G5 status" considering there's an iMac G5 already?

Edit: I am from the US, so US prices and related info. are my focus.

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Seems that its going G5 1.6GHz since the low end iMac G5 got a price reduction. :)

3. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

It did get a price drop? What store/country? I'm still seeing the 1.6 iMac for $1299 in the US Apple.com Store. Hmm...?

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

The US Stores were excluded. Could have been a currency difference or something else, however some of the other Apple hardware also saw price cuts like the Keyboard and Mouse. :)

5. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought the price drops on the iMacs were due to currency fluctuations, rather than a "marketing" price drop. They've only been out 3 or 4 months, so it seems too soon to have an iMac G5 price cut.

Thanks for the reply still. :)

I hope more people share their views and give some input, too. :D

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The low-end eMac is priced at $699 Retail

The eMac 8-pack bring the eMac down to about $625 each, without any haggling for large orders.

The there is a big gap between a $625 Machine and a $1299 machine.

Plus to have any chance to keep from losing education market share Apple needs to drop closer to the $599 retail education price.

The $499 headless G4 would have been a perfect new eMac... at a price point which Apple needs.

7. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

It's $799 US, not $699... what price are you quoting? Are you in the US or elsewhere? Perhaps I should have said I'm from the US. ;)

What is the eMac 8-pack?

8. carlos700 macrumors regular

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's $699 or $625 each when ordering an 8-pack.

And yes it's education prices, and any eMac change needs to support education.

Or Apple risks killing their remaining education market share.

A $599 education mac (with department discounts) is something Apple needs to keep in order to keep Dell from taking even more of Apple's meager share.

If Apple could get the retail education price down to $599 they'd do a bit better.

And the 8-pack is an order number for 8-machines.

10. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

Gotcha' now. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm seeing the edu price as $749 though. For what school/college did you see it listed for $699?

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

That is a given. :)

12. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyway, back on topic. ;)

The main purpose of this thread is to ask if any of you have heard anything regarding eMac updates at MWSF or soon after. Will we see a faster G4; possibly a G5? Any insights?

13. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Let me be the other kid on the other side of the fence here and say that the eMac will not be receiving a G5 at the next update. It will be a speed bumped G4 and Apple will create the rumored "headless" model to the eMac lineup and not to the iMac lineup. Just MHO.

14. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

That wouldn't be bad at all. It's definitely time for some eMac changes--whatever the changes are. :)

15. hjhhjh macrumors member

emac will have a 1.42 ghz single g4 processor with 33 mhz ram and a 167 mhz fsb. maybe a price reduction to 749 99 ?

just my 2 xents

16. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope the 33 was a typo. ;) It already has:
    * 333MHz DDR SDRAM
    * 167MHz system bus

17. Kreamy macrumors member

i doubt that a G5 1.6GHz model will arise soon. The eMac was never up-to speed with the iMac, there has to be a boundary between both models.

a 1.42/1.5GHz G4 seems alot more reasonable