eMac to MacBook Migration

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bdj33ranch, Feb 19, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

I am planning to use my soon to be upgraded Late 2006 MacBook (2Ghz, 2Gb, 160Gb, OSX10.4) to take over duties for my old eMac. I will likely transfer just files (no programs) on a case by case basis. I doubt that I will use 'Migration Assistant'. I can clone my eMac to an external drive and take my time moving stuff. I do no 'heavy' work with either of my Macs. Pretty basic home user stuff. Fairly simple document and spreadsheet work (M/S Office 2004), older versions of iPhoto/iMovie/iDVD. PhotoShop Elements 2.0, Toast 6 and Reunion. Oh, and the latest iTunes!

I'm thinking that with the newer iLife and iWork Suites I can probably get by without PhotoShop Elements and M/S Office.

Two questions though.
    1. I would like to run an external monitor. Probably a widescreen in the 20-22 inch size. Most of them seem to have a native resolution of 1680 x 1050. Will the integrated graphics card in my MacBook handle that size and resoultion OK considering my typical use? Or should I look towards a 17-19 inch size?
    2. I want my MacBook itself to be easily moveable. I would not want to move things like the monitor, printer, iPod dock, external hard drive, speakers, etc. Does anyone make a 'docking station' that would simplify life as far as cable connections?

Thanks

2. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm not sure about the monitor, however, one thing you might think about for # 2, is getting a Time Capsule.

It would allow you to wirelessly backup, you can attach your printer to it and print wirelessly and you could hook up your speakers to it.

AFAIK, there are no docking stations available. If it's only a matter of unplugging your monitor and iPod dock, that's not too big of a deal.