eMac Too Expensive

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by agreenster, May 1, 2002.

1. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Apple has done an outstanding job in positioning themselves to reclaim some lost deskspace in the education market with the advent of the new eMac. However, I just cant get over Apple's rediculous prices. Sure, I have a TiBook and a G4 tower, but I am (as many of you are) a loyal Mac fanatic, and will pay for the computer.

But heres my point:

Everyone is touting that the eMac is 999.99. What? Maybe I missed the boat (and I hope I did) but everywhere I look it is 1249. Hell, the new iMac (buying in through the eduaction store) is only 1349. For a extra 100 bucks, you get the LCD screen. Granted, kids and LCD dont mix but for HS and College, it would be great.

Is the flat CRT really that expensive? I just dont see the justification of this thing being 1300 bucks. Schools can get *gasp* Dell computers for 699. I know, I know, "Dude, Dell's Suck" but try explaining that to the purchasing department at your local Community School District.

I guess the only justification I can see is that you dont have to buy a seperate monitor that could run you another 100-200 bucks.

Can someone tell me how much these things really are?

2. Funkatation macrumors regular

You should open your eyes.

Institutions get a better discount than Individuals do. If you go to the education store, and say you are with a school, you will see the better pricing.

Copied from Apple Store: For K-12 Institutions:

$999.00
    700MHz
    PowerPC G4
    128MB SDRAM
    40GB Ultra ATA drive
    CD-ROM drive
    No Modem

$1,199.00
    700MHz
    PowerPC G4
    128MB SDRAM
    40GB Ultra ATA drive
    Combo drive (DVD/CD-RW)
    56K internal modem\

For K-12 Teachers:

CDROM model Not Available -

$1,249.00
    700MHz PowerPC G4
    128MB SDRAM
    40GB Ultra ATA drive
    Combo drive (DVD/CD-RW)
    56K internal modem

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I like it...I want one...gee what a surprise!

I'm one of the people who feel that the new iMac is an incredible deal...for all that one gets...u just can't beat getting it (w/G4) for under $2000...

the eMac I think is pretty damned cool also...and I've actually considered the idea of having one as a desktop machine...$1000 for a G4 is a small price to pay...

remember all those threads from jefhatfield suggesting a subnotebook with a maxed out G3 processor for around $600-$700??

in my opinion...this is it...just it's not portable...

4. Funkatation macrumors regular

Personally, I would rather have..

the eMac over the iMac, I would prefer the higher resolution screen, and the cheaper price. The eMac compares favorably against the middle iMac that sells for 1599. They have the same hardware, just a different screen/form factor. CRT's are better for me than LCD's, and especially since this is a flat CRT. I'm definitely going to pick one of these up. Thank goodness I'm a student! =)

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I'm with you, eyelikeart. I'd take an eMac home with me any day! It's an original iMac on steroids. I dunno about the rest o'youse guys, but I LIKE substantial computers. While the new iMac's elegant and all, I just don't get the feeling of sitting down in front of a robust machine that I'm not worried about breaking. Screw portability! :D It should be clear that the eMac was NOT designed for that.

6. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Okay okay! Sorrrrryyyyyyy

When I checked the education store, and since I am a college student, I naturally selected the 'higher education' 'individual' section. That was where I was getting my pricing from.

Great then!!! Im glad I was wrong!!

I hope Apple does some quick 'regaining' of the marketplace.

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

he he he...

I can do the education thing too... ;) :p

8. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

I agree. I really like the new eMac. I like the design even better than the LCD iMac. But I don't like the way that Jobs is forcing people to buy the LCD iMac by only offering a potentially great machine to the eduaction market. Apple has had a tradition of making bad choices, and this is no exception. The eMac is basically a LCD iMac motherboard on its side (judging by the ports) with a CRT instaed of an LCD. Most people would like to have a choice (some people don't really need an LCD!), but Apple isn't offering it. Stupid Apple!

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the flat panel lcd imac is a better buy than the 17" crt flat screen emac

10. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

The reason the original iMac sold so well was the fact that it was an Apple product that had comprable price to a PC, plus more style. The style is still there with the new iMac (albeit unsightly), but the price is not. It may be a deal for the parts that it contains (15" LCD, Superdrive, etc.), but the price is still comparatively high.

11. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Apple in education

If apple really wants to compete in the education market, they need to put out a machine for under $600. I know they'll have to cut a lot of corners, but it'll still be better than a Dell no matter what. Also, once a school has implemented cheap macs, they'll see how good macs really are, and they'll realize the extra money is worth it. The eMac is a start, though, eMac --- eMachine??? It's a little close for me.

12. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I have to say they look incredibly large
    The first imacs were big and they had a 13.8 inch CRT
    Imagine these other things

13. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Although the eMac is great and all, I would go for the LCD iMac any time.
    I like the design of that.