Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
Apple has done an outstanding job in positioning themselves to reclaim some lost deskspace in the education market with the advent of the new eMac. However, I just cant get over Apple's rediculous prices. Sure, I have a TiBook and a G4 tower, but I am (as many of you are) a loyal Mac fanatic, and will pay for the computer.

But heres my point:

Everyone is touting that the eMac is 999.99. What? Maybe I missed the boat (and I hope I did) but everywhere I look it is 1249. Hell, the new iMac (buying in through the eduaction store) is only 1349. For a extra 100 bucks, you get the LCD screen. Granted, kids and LCD dont mix but for HS and College, it would be great.

Is the flat CRT really that expensive? I just dont see the justification of this thing being 1300 bucks. Schools can get *gasp* Dell computers for 699. I know, I know, "Dude, Dell's Suck" but try explaining that to the purchasing department at your local Community School District.

I guess the only justification I can see is that you dont have to buy a seperate monitor that could run you another 100-200 bucks.

Can someone tell me how much these things really are?

Funkatation

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2001
You should open your eyes.

Institutions get a better discount than Individuals do. If you go to the education store, and say you are with a school, you will see the better pricing.

Copied from Apple Store: For K-12 Institutions:

$999.00
700MHz
PowerPC G4
128MB SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA drive
CD-ROM drive
No Modem

$1,199.00
700MHz
PowerPC G4
128MB SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo drive (DVD/CD-RW)
56K internal modem\

For K-12 Teachers:

CDROM model Not Available -

$1,249.00
700MHz PowerPC G4
128MB SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo drive (DVD/CD-RW)
56K internal modem

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I like it...I want one...gee what a surprise!

I'm one of the people who feel that the new iMac is an incredible deal...for all that one gets...u just can't beat getting it (w/G4) for under $2000...

the eMac I think is pretty damned cool also...and I've actually considered the idea of having one as a desktop machine...$1000 for a G4 is a small price to pay...

remember all those threads from jefhatfield suggesting a subnotebook with a maxed out G3 processor for around $600-$700??

in my opinion...this is it...just it's not portable...

Funkatation

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2001
Personally, I would rather have..

the eMac over the iMac, I would prefer the higher resolution screen, and the cheaper price. The eMac compares favorably against the middle iMac that sells for 1599. They have the same hardware, just a different screen/form factor. CRT's are better for me than LCD's, and especially since this is a flat CRT. I'm definitely going to pick one of these up. Thank goodness I'm a student! =)

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I'm with you, eyelikeart. I'd take an eMac home with me any day! It's an original iMac on steroids. I dunno about the rest o'youse guys, but I LIKE substantial computers. While the new iMac's elegant and all, I just don't get the feeling of sitting down in front of a robust machine that I'm not worried about breaking. Screw portability! :D It should be clear that the eMac was NOT designed for that.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
Okay okay! Sorrrrryyyyyyy

When I checked the education store, and since I am a college student, I naturally selected the 'higher education' 'individual' section. That was where I was getting my pricing from.

Great then!!! Im glad I was wrong!!

I hope Apple does some quick 'regaining' of the marketplace.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by Hemingray
I'm with you, eyelikeart. I'd take an eMac home with me any day! It's an original iMac on steroids. I dunno about the rest o'youse guys, but I LIKE substantial computers. While the new iMac's elegant and all, I just don't get the feeling of sitting down in front of a robust machine that I'm not worried about breaking. Screw portability! :D It should be clear that the eMac was NOT designed for that.

he he he...

I can do the education thing too... ;) :p

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by Hemingray
I'd take an eMac home with me any day! It's an original iMac on steroids. I dunno about the rest o'youse guys, but I LIKE substantial computers. While the new iMac's elegant and all, I just don't get the feeling of sitting down in front of a robust machine that I'm not worried about breaking. Screw portability! :D It should be clear that the eMac was NOT designed for that.

I agree. I really like the new eMac. I like the design even better than the LCD iMac. But I don't like the way that Jobs is forcing people to buy the LCD iMac by only offering a potentially great machine to the eduaction market. Apple has had a tradition of making bad choices, and this is no exception. The eMac is basically a LCD iMac motherboard on its side (judging by the ports) with a CRT instaed of an LCD. Most people would like to have a choice (some people don't really need an LCD!), but Apple isn't offering it. Stupid Apple!

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by jefhatfield
the flat panel lcd imac is a better buy than the 17" crt flat screen emac

The reason the original iMac sold so well was the fact that it was an Apple product that had comprable price to a PC, plus more style. The style is still there with the new iMac (albeit unsightly), but the price is not. It may be a deal for the parts that it contains (15" LCD, Superdrive, etc.), but the price is still comparatively high.

stoid

macrumors 601
Apple in education

If apple really wants to compete in the education market, they need to put out a machine for under $600. I know they'll have to cut a lot of corners, but it'll still be better than a Dell no matter what. Also, once a school has implemented cheap macs, they'll see how good macs really are, and they'll realize the extra money is worth it. The eMac is a start, though, eMac --- eMachine??? It's a little close for me.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I have to say they look incredibly large
The first imacs were big and they had a 13.8 inch CRT
Imagine these other things

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
Although the eMac is great and all, I would go for the LCD iMac any time.
I like the design of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.