eMac updates coming soon - signs show it!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dotdotdot, Feb 26, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Don't know what thread to post this in - I went to the apple store to buy a keyboard and noticed something.

The eMacs that little kids play games on in the Apple store are now iMac G5s. All eMacs were removed except for one.

Someone wanted to buy one, "I'm sorry, we're all out."

eMac updates coming our way soon?
  2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Or maybe lower priced iMac G5's? Given the new lower pricing on the SDDs for the Mac mini, I can see a "budget" iMac G5 at $999 with SDD at 1.8ghz.
  3. relimw macrumors 6502a

May 6, 2004
    Or maybe the eMacs are being EOL'd? Let the schools buy their own monitors :)
  4. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2004
    The eMacs in the SOHO store and still there in the kids section. But those eMacs have been there forever - they are the original 700-800mhz version with the Geforce 2MX. They were already pretty outdated, but its interesting that they chose to replace it with iMacs instead of newer eMacs. After all, we all know that a hard screen CRT holds up better under child abuse compared to a soft and easily damaged LCD. Perhaps the eMac really will be discontinued?
  5. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Then they make more money! If someones kid breaks a computer, who pays for it?
  6. john1123 macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2005
    Down Under
    but wouldn't the school simply go with dell's (god forbid) or hp or toshiba to get screens that don't break so easily?

i think the emac is an important product for the education sector. discontinuing would be a bad idea IMO.
  7. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Well, we made it! The last 4 or 5 hours weren't pretty though. Good night!
  8. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    There is another post on the forums talking about how they think the emac is being discontinued. The person who started the thread claims he was told by someone at Apple that the eMacs are being discontinued.
  9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    This thread should be named something different, 1 MacMini replaced Emac,,2 there is no Emac update coming,3 signs show Emacs demise not update.
  10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

As far as I can tell the eMacs are not yet EOL'D our store can still get them from our suppliers and there are plenty in stock at distributors. Could be a few months before we find out.