eMac vs. G4/G5 tower for recording

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by believo, Aug 3, 2004.

1. believo macrumors regular

believo

Are their any disadvantages for using an eMac opposed to a g4/g5 tower for recording (ports, eyc.). I realized the speed differences but I was more interested in knowing hardware differences.
    thanks!

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

The short answer is "no", but the long answer needs to know what you want to record.

3. believo thread starter macrumors regular

believo

I always hear that eMacs are limited because of their ports. I don't know much about digital recording but I just purchased an eMac and was wondering which ports (if any) that the eMac lacks opposed to the towers as far as reccording goes.
    thanks for your help

4. Edge100 macrumors 68000

I can only assume you mean digital audio recording.

If so, the eMac is more than capable. It should be more than enough to record >24 tracks, add several high quality reverbs, other effects, virtual instruments, etc.

However... (there's always a 'however')...

I would add two points about the eMac

1) As always, get an external 7200 RPM FW harddrive. These can be had for next to nothing, and they will really help to take the load off your internal drive. Put your OS and samples on the main drive and the audio on the FW drive. Try to get a drive with an 8MB cache for slightly better throughput, although this isnt as important as making sure it is at least 7200 RPM.

and now for the more serious "however"

2) The eMac is LOUD! Now, compared to many other PCs, and compared to the original MDD and Quicksilver PowerMacs, they are quiet. For normal use, you wouldnt even notice. BUT, if you plan to put a microphone anywhere near the eMac, look out! Over the weekend, I did a little test with my dad's eMac. I monitored the sound of the computer using the internal mic of my iBook (almost noiseless by itself) and the sound control panel. The meters registered half-way to max...and that's just self noise of the eMac. Also, note that the eMac's CRT could play havoc with any guitar pickups you have near it (not so for LCDs).

The long and short of it is the eMac is a great computer, and superb value for the money. If your audio needs are mostly MIDI and you wont be doing much microphone work, I'd say go for it. If you need to use mics and pickups, I'd spend a little extra to get something with an LCD (e.g. G4 iBook) or that you could add an LCD to (e.g. 1.25 G4 PowerMac). All that noise in the recordings will add up when you have 20 tracks of it running at once.

In audio recording, silence is golden!

Mike