eMac w/ dead logic board - What's salvagable? Monitor conversion?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kineticpast, Sep 5, 2005.

1. kineticpast macrumors member

I've just received a phone call that my eMac 1.42^H^H^H^H 1.25GHz has a dead logic board and will cost about AU$1000 to fix (AU$770 for parts). I won't be doing that and am now considering my options for replacement. I'm considering a mini or a 'Book.

What I want to know is what is salvagable from the eMac?

Obviously the keyboard and mouse are fine. If I got the mini I could use the RAM (and then sell off one of my 512MB DIMMs). There should be nothing wrong with the hard drive so I could get an external enclosure for that.

Is the eMac's Superdrive compatible with any current Macs, I know it wont fit in a 'Book, but is it the right size for any desktops? Can I put that is another external enclosure or convert the eMac into one?

Is it possible to convert the eMac into a monitor?

Thanks in advance for any help.

[edit]Reducing confusion by listing the actual processor speed![/edit]

2. aquajet macrumors 68020

Well that really sucks :( What the heck happened that wouldn't be covered under warranty?

I suppose just about every other component could be salvaged for parts. Certainly the hard drive and Superdrive are standard desktop drives that could be used in other desktop Macs. The Superdrive is an ATAPI drive and the hard drive is ATA/100 I believe.

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

the superdrive would work in an external enclosure just fine--and if you get patchburn (http://www.patchburn.de) it should work with all your apps. that really sucks, man. like aquajet said, how come it's not under warranty?

4. kineticpast thread starter macrumors member

Well, the reason the warranty doesn't cover it is because I was driving it to to my unit from my parents house and my dodgy car door opened going around a corner and the eMac flung out!

Well, not really, the actual problem is I bought it 18 months ago and as I don't have much cash I couldn't afford AppleCare, etc. Of course now I can't afford not having it!

Thanks for the info on the Superdrive.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone converting a eMac or G3 iMac into a monitor?

5. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

A 18 month old eMac would be at at a maximum a 1.25

6. kineticpast thread starter macrumors member

Hehe, that is what happens when I can't boot my comp to check About This Mac!

[edit]Ignore my last edit![/edit]