eMac - why so long in coming?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MacSA, May 3, 2005.

1. MacSA macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2003
    Any ideas as to why Apple are waiting for so long before updating the eMac? 13 months without an update is pretty unusual. Perhaps there will me a major revision and changes to the design? Perhaps they didn't want to release a new eMac some months ago and have it affect sales of the Mac mini. What are your thoughts on this?
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    I suspect there's been some long and hard rethinking going on about the eMac and some possible reassessing of its price-point and position in the scheme of things.

It was never meant to be the overall success that it was. It's now become the metaphorical red-haired step-child of the family.

I'm also not sure how it fits in with Apple's education strategy with many secondary schools now appearing to favour laptops and wireless.

I'm sure we'll hear something within the next 3-4 months or so. If not, then that could be a sign that they'll keep churning them out unimproved until they wither on the vine.
  3. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    they want to update it with a core image card and the imac currently has the slowest desktop core image card and they dont want it to eat into imac sales, once the imac has been updated with a 128MB 9600 the emac can have a 64MB 9600.
  4. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think they heard you coz they updated the eMac today.