Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
I'm wanting to copy some stuff onto a CD but when I insert the blank CD, it just pops it out (opens up). What gives??

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Some eMac models only have a CD-ROM drive rather than a combo or super.

Have you been able to burn on this machine before?

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
iMeowbot said:
Some eMac models only have a CD-ROM drive rather than a combo or super.

Have you been able to burn on this machine before?
This is exactly what my CD-ROM drive in my iBook G3 used to do when I inserted a blank CD. If it was a disk error or a drive error, I would expect it to put up a message telling you that the disk is unreadable, or something like that. That, or it would just spin up and down forever.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
MIne is the 800 MHz PowerPC G4. Knowing my luck... it probably doesn't have a CD-RW drive! I don't remember if I ordered a combo drive. I see in my specs that it only says CD-ROM. In that area, it should say CD-RW also?
No, I have never burned anything - never had a need til now.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Okay, check the System Profiler then (About This Mac, then more info...). Under Hardware->ATA, what does it show as installed?

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
Cindy said:
MIne is the 800 MHz PowerPC G4. Knowing my luck... it probably doesn't have a CD-RW drive! I don't remember if I ordered a combo drive. I see in my specs that it only says CD-ROM. In that area, it should say CD-RW also?
No, I have never burned anything - never had a need til now.
If it says CD-ROM in your specs, then that's your answer. It will either say CD-ROM, Combo or SuperDrive to indicate which drive you have. My guess is that this is the ATi Graphics eMac, in which the lower-end model was an 800 MHz G4 with a 32x CD-ROM drive.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
dsharits said:
If it says CD-ROM in your specs, then that's your answer. It will either say CD-ROM, Combo or SuperDrive to indicate which drive you have. My guess is that this is the ATi Graphics eMac, in which the lower-end model was an 800 MHz G4 with a 32x CD-ROM drive.

That's what I was afraid of! It says nothing about a combo drive. Oh well. :(
I wish I hadn't opened up the package of blanks. Didn't pay too much for them.
I work at a university, (they have Macs) I can check there and see if they have CD-RW acceptable computers and maybe I can do what I need to do there.

If something is burned onto a CD from a PC, can a Mac read it? What does one need to do for that to happen?
I had someone burn a short video on a CD for me -- they had a PC and my Mac couldn't read it.

leticia

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
same problem!

Okay, check the System Profiler then (About This Mac, then more info...). Under Hardware->ATA, what does it show as installed?

I have tha same problem with cd-rw...
on my Mac, it shows as installed:
"HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N"
is it the same issue? what can i do?
thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.