1. themacman macrumors 6502

im looking into buying an emac, does anyone think that there will be a new emac at macworld? Ive herd nothing about it

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

There might be but I don't see it being annouced at Macworld unless it has a connection to this so called cheap mac that the rumors go on about

Since the eMac is at the (or near) bottom of the product line I doubt it would be getting a serious upgrade anyway since it may interfere with the iBooks and PowerBooks specs (don't want the eMac being as fast as a PowerBook just yet), plus its real purpose is for Education use

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

If you can wait 2 weeks, then wait!

Maybe there is a $500 Mac anounced...

4. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I'd buy (if it does end up being true) an "iMac mini" and a nice LCD monitor (17" displays are pretty cheap now). I'll never volunatarily buy another CRT again.

5. mms macrumors 6502a

I'm sure a G5 eMac will come eventually. No idea about timeframe though. Since they managed to fit the G5 into an iMac, Apple certainly has the technology to do so with ease. So the limitations now are not technological but logistical. I'm thinking that another revision of the iMac will have to occur to allow room for the eMac G5. To allow that to happen, the PowerMacs need to move up and of course, we have to make sure that the iMac in its current form can take a more powerful processor. Currently there is no talk about any new chips from IBM so the PowerMac issue is vague. As for the iMac, they needed to watercool the 2.5 dual PowerMac. Imagine if you tried to fit one of those into an iMac enclosure today. Though quite obviously they won't put a 2.5 GHz processor into the iMac today, eventually they will have to deal with that. My understanding is that they have to deal with that problem before they can make room for an eMac G5. However, I think it is quite possible for a dual core G4 eMac to happen before that does. IMO education markets do not need nor can leverage the power of a G5, in which case all that power would go to waste. As of now I see no reason for Apple to upgrade the eMac to G5, since education is the primary focus of the line. It is quite possible that if a $500 computer were to be introduced, the line might be dropped altogether.

6. themacman thread starter macrumors 6502

wouldnt an emac wiht a flat pannel and a g5 be an imac

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Yes, which is why the eMac G5 would still have a CRT (they are nice CRTs, IMO right now) and would probably have 1.6 GHz chips, while the iMacs move up to 1.8 GHz and 2.0 GHz chips.

8. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

I have a hard time beleiving that the eMac will get a CRT again. CRT's are becoming outdated and LCD's are becoming much cheaper and what most people will ONLY buy. I would expect the new designed emac (not the speedbumped, if there is a speedbumped emac) to have an LCD and maybe a G5 (or the dual core G4?), with specs substancially less than the iMac with not quite as snazzy of a form factor.