eMac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Tommy!, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Tommy! macrumors regular

hey everyone i got an emac and its pretty cool, def. a great value, i think the screen is a lot nicer than the new imacs. i got the CDRW model, i didnt want dvd. one thing that pisses me off though is that the fan doesnt turn off unless its sleeping or shut down. i would have thought that it would turn off after a while of being idle. I have mine in my room and i like to download stuff at night (i can only get dialup) but i cant leave it on because i cant sleep with that stupid fan!!

anyway, if anyones considering buying one and has any questions ask em here.

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: eMac

Congrats on the eMac!

Heh, that sucks, but then again, that's life here for me too. :D And you're lucky your fan turns off when it sleeps! My old G4 doesn't even do that. This thing puts out so much heat at night when I sleep I have to turn on a fan across the room to counter it. So, count your blessings, it could be worse... you could be in my shoes. :D

3. awulf macrumors 6502

My Power Mac 7600 has a fan in it too and it is really loud so I can't leave it on during the night either when I want to sleep.

Does the eMac look good, ugly (better or worse then the classic iMac)? because in the photographs it doesn't look too good but I haven't seen one upfront. Also, is there a handel on the top of it or do you have to make sure that it doesn't slip out of your hands?

4. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: eMac

Bah! Be a real man. Sleep with som phat toonz pumpin'. Then yo won't even notice the fan! :D

5. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: eMac

heh heh....... that's one solution to it I suppose...... :p :p :p

6. Tommy! thread starter macrumors regular

thank you for all the good advice;)

The eMac is a little funky, but its a beaut. it is much smaller looking in person. I've been having lots of problems with mine though, I actually had to stop using OSX because i kept having to restart to do things like connect to the internet, access the users and login preference panels, and open certain apps. It runs well in OS 9, but whichever OS you use, i would def. reccomend a ram upgrade.
    o yea and no handle:(
    All in all, if you buy an eMac to have all the qualities of the slot-loading imac, youve bought the wrong machine.

7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Pictures?

Could you post some pics of it? I would like to see how it fits in! Too bad about the fan, you will probably get used to it. Have fun:)

8. Tommy! thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try to post some pics, Id have to borrow a camera because i took mine back to afford this thing! (dad was no help) until then, i love answering questions :D

9. swahilibill macrumors 6502

What do you mean you got a CDRw instead of a DVD, they don't offer a DVD, only on the first education ones did they offer a combo. Anyways, I saw one at the apple store, there huge, and really heavy. If a person is looking for a G4, its a good deal, but if they are not, they should go with the iMac. And the screen is not nicer than the new iMacs. The emac is a CRT screen, and the iMac is an LCD. Although its two inches larger than the iMac, the resolution and clarity are certainly no better. don't get me wrong the eMac is alright, but it does have some flaws: no handle, heavy, lack of a good optical drive, CRT, etc...

Anyway, have fun with your new computer Tommy

10. Tommy! thread starter macrumors regular

When i said DVD, imeant the combo drive, which is still avalible for educators. My mom is a teacher and the combo drive was an option for me if i got it though the edu store. I didn't need the DVD playback/reader for 150$ more. It also cuts CD burning speed in half. The footprint is no bigger than the original imacs. In comparison to the G4 imac, the viewable screen size is one inch bigger, and i say its nicer because it is more crisp (especially in small text), and offers more resolutions which come in handy for me. The G4 imac has a maximum resolution of 1024X768, while the emac goes to 1280X960. Although the screen doesnt swivle, i still view it as a better display.

11. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I'm intrigued by the eMac.... Is the speed up to par? I am going to be designing a small recording studio and need a good mac to toss in there... and I think the eMac would be hot (Motu 828 firewire interface, Cubase, so no need for PCI)

I am just wondering if i'll see an appreciable speed increase via an eMac or G4 iMac versus my Dual 450...and of course, there's Nuendo, which would use both processors on the dualie.... and Cubase SX is Nuendo compatible.

But again, it's bulky-- tower plus 17 inch monitor equals limited space.

So i dunno... decisions, decisions. But if someone says "hey, the speed of this thing is awesome, much better than I expected" I'll get off my lazy rear and go to Compusa, search out pTrauber and get a demo. :)

m

12. swahilibill macrumors 6502

I see Tommy, its a cool computer, and my dad is actually thinking of getting one. have fun with it.

13. Tommy! thread starter macrumors regular

bill: thanks, i hope ur dad likes high pitched fans :mad: :p

moximike: i think the emac will be slower than you DP G4, if what youre using utilizes dual processors. But if youre looking to add, try a used tower on ebay. If space is a conern, then i guess the only thing left is an emac. The G4 imac would be a waste in your case i think, because when youre using it for recording theres no reason to pay an extra 300$ for an lcd.

14. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Wel, I like the LCD. :) And I have a wee bit of disposable income. :) :)

But the iMac is a TINY footprint... and where you're dealing with guitars, amps, outboard gear.... the space savings is nice. :)

Although I think I may just keep the MP and get a 15 inch flat panel after MWNY