1. bux macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a home computer, I want to do all regular stuff (mail, chat etc) and some times I feel like playing some games.
    So, I looked at the new eMac (with the superdrive) and I have to say that it seams to fit my need plenty well except for one thing... the graphics card, if I want to be able to play games I guess that Radeon 9200 32MB card is too slow?
    So, I have a question... is it possible to switch the graphics card somehow or is it built in on the motherboard?
    Another question, if it's not possible to switch that graphics card... how is the performance of that card?
    Well the only game that I really would like to play is World of Warcraft when it's released, is that card enough for that game you think?

Thanks in advance

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

For games, why not consider a dedicated game machine like the Xbox or PS2?

3. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

or gamecube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

4. dbauer macrumors member

WHOA! Stop making sense! :eek: Everyone knows that you need to spend thousands of dollars on the latest PC or Mac if you want to play games!

Seriously, the Radeon 9200 is actually a pretty decent performer for current games and should hold up well for new ones that come out in the next year or so. The new eMac is a fantastic value and will serve you well for years to come. Unfortunately you can't upgrade the graphics, you'll need a PowerMac for that. If you keep your eye on the Apple Store refurbished page, you can find a PowerMac G5 1.6 for $1399 or a 1.8 single for $1599. If it doesn't show up today, check tomorrow because the page is updated daily; early morning usually.

You can find benchmarks of games on the web with the Radeon 9200. The chip is also in the iBook G4 and PowerBook G4 1 Ghz I think, so look at the reviews of those machines to see how the gameplay looks.

At any rate, congratulations, you're going to love your Mac, and then wonder why it took so long to switch! :D

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry i guess my age is showing thru. Though as much as i love Mac, I never understand the desire for the Mac for games. Sure there are good titles, but many more for the PC. And it could be argued many more for the Gamecube (did I make you happy g30ffr3y?), and other game machines out there.

6. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

I'm in the same boat as you. I could only afford a relatively cheap Mac, but wanted to be able to play some games when the time arose (specifically, WoW). While the eMac is far from a game machine, it should be able to handle WoW decently, with most if not all options set to low. If gaming is your main focus, then i'd recommend you look towards a PC or a G5 Powermac. Otherwise, the eMac should do pretty well. I know its gone beyond my expectations :)

7. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

Well the fact that World of Warcraft will probably not ever be released for the consoles totally eliminates your console substitute arguments. Though, it is a good idea! :)

8. bux thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, first of all those who said I should get a PS2 or xBox....
    Please... I didn't mean I wanted to only play games on my computer, if that were the case I really would grab a PS2 or xBox or somthing simular.
    But I want to do some "real things" too :D

Could anyone point me to a benchmark or some other good test with that radeon 9200 32mb card?

9. Gyroscope macrumors regular

Doesn't look too good mate. Have a look here:

http://www.barefeats.com/piei.html

10. bux thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm... it does indeed look bad in games :(
    I can guess that it's the lack of video ram.
    A eMac only has that problem (IMO).

Guess I have to do some thinking then :cool:

11. unfaded macrumors 6502

I just got the new eMac today, and it actually surprised me on how playable it is in a lot of games. So don't give up hope :) Just don't expect it to blow you away.

12. bux thread starter macrumors regular

Cool :D
    Maybe I should stick with my plan to buy a eMac then ;)
    ---
    About that Radeon 9200 card... what card can I compare it with, benchmark with other greater cards may not be the best thing after all.
    Like for example, my little brother has a old pc with a Geforce (1) 32mb... and he can play most games (okay, not the latest and greatest but he is able to play for example World of Warcraft (beta)).
    Can I compare the Radeon 9200 32mb card with that card or maybe I can compare it with newer cards?
    (And yes, I can't really compare PC and Mac... I know)

As you already may have noticed I'm not a hardcore gamer who knows everything about each graphics card :rolleyes:

13. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I'd say that if games are really important, go with a refurbed G5. If you only want to be able to play some games, like WoW I think the eMac will be decent.

I have an 800mhz iMac G4 with a GeForce 4MX 32mb and I was ok with games like Ghost Recon and Warcraft III, I can get unreal to run but I have to lower the settings pretty well. Raven Shield unfortunately doesn't play well at all. I don't know how the GeForce 4 compares to the 9200, but with the same memory can't be that different. Of course you have the advantage of a great porcessor mines a little on the slow side :eek:

14. bux thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, thanks.
    Games aren't that important to me, I just want to play some (WC3 and WoW) and I'm ok with not having all settings at high ;)
    So I guess the eMac will be just fine for me.

15. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

The Radeon 7500 in the previous generation eMacs were on par with a Geforce2 DDR (not the cheap MX version). The new Radeon 9200 should be a tad faster, as well as offer pixel and vertex shader support. What really holds it back is the measly 32mb of VRAM - which means you are usually forced to turn texture quality down in games to keep the games running well. Still, i'm expecting the eMac to be able to handle WoW decently enough @ 1024X768 on low to medium settings with a reduced clipping plane.

16. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I picked up a new SD eMac last week. Games are fine. I've been playing C&C Generals on it without complaint. Seems fast enough (I never played it on any other platform, so I have no grounds for comparison.) WC3 plays just fine. Haven't tried Halo yet (which I installed), because I'm too obsessed with C&C.

17. bux thread starter macrumors regular

Great to hear.
    When you get some sparetime please post how Halo ran on the system.

18. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

everybody always skips gamecube... i have all three... the xbox resides at my gf's house to watch dvd's... useless...

i use the ps2... but mostly gamecube... i hate that everyone always says xbox and ps2... i hate xbox, i love ps2, but the gamecube can spank the ps2...

you just cant play gta3 or vice city on gamecube... oh well...

19. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I think the radeon 9200 is more comparable to the nvidia 5200 (abit the 9200 is a tad bit slower)

The 9200 is faster than the 7500, 8500, and 9000, and it should be faster than any of the Geforce4 MX cards, I will check and see.

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

If it will make amends I have a Nintendo 64.....

21. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

I have the previous generation eMac, with a rad7500, and it plays Warcraft3 fairly well. The latest generation eMac will undoubtedly be decent for gaming for whatever is released in the next two years. If you can, though, try to get a powermac- they are so much more upgradable.

22. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

I don't think DOOM3 will play all that hot on an eMac. And its scheduled to be released soon. Forget about 2 years from now! :)

23. bux thread starter macrumors regular

From what Carmack has said the PC reqirements are:
    1GHz CPU
    256MB RAM
    GF1 or Radeon 7xxx series card

but that's with minimal settings if I remember correctly.

So there is hope for Doom3 on a eMac (with low settings)

EDIT: But lowering the graphics that much probably will affect the "fun factor" of the game :(

24. Declan macrumors member

Well my 2 pennies worth, i own a emac and although i happily play RTCW on it, i also own a XBOX and this seems to be the best option..I recently switched to Apple after working with windows from release 1, and after spending to much time trying to make my PC look like a Mac, i switched..Wish i had sooner...Anyway as much as i dislike Microcrap, i have owned a Pc, Mac, PS2, Gamecube but just buy an xbox its the best period for gaming, MS's first plug and Play that WORKS..have Fun..And with the XBOX you'l play DOOM3 and Halflife 2 in full glory, and Conkers Bad Fur day looks amazing, check it out..