emac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Jun 28, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i am typing on an emac in an apple store

the thing is awesome and has a small form factor not much bigger than the classic iMac...just like i read in macworld

anybody seen one yet?

thoughts?

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I'd like to see one up close and compare it to my snow iMac, It looks big on the Apple website but pics are decieving. Wish I had that G4 and 17in screen.

3. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

someone who owns both a classic imac and an emac should us a picture of the 2 puters in diff of size ;)

4. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I've seen the eMac in person and it is about the size of my iMac. My only complaint is the position of the power button.

5. job macrumors 68040

job

Agreed. I saw an eMac at my local CompUSA. It seems about the size of an iMac barring the slight increase in screen size. asurace's complaint about the power button is justified. Why put it on the side with the USB and Firewire ports?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

With OS X there really is no need to shut the machine off at night, just set the screen saver up to require a password and you won't even have to log out either. Just move the mouse to a specified corner and walk away.

It really is so much nicer to have a machine up and running with all the normal Apps ready and waiting with the entry of your password.

Plus the deep sleep really does not use a whole lot of juice.

That is if you have a really good line conditioning UPS keeping your machine safe.

In other words I rarely use the power button on the computer.

7. job macrumors 68040

job

I used to do the same thing, until my old iMac (specifically the hard drive and optical drive) died on me after leaving it asleep for two days straight. I woke it up, the computer came up, iTunes was open, I hit the play button and bam! The screen went black. Both the hard drive and optical drive are now toast. I am now very wary about leaving my computer asleep for extended periods of time.

hitman

8. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

whats the size difference of the screen (viewable) between the iMac and eMac? as in real life..not that thing about the 15" LCD being the same as the 17" exactly...

9. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

did you ever call apple or anything?

i personally have always left my macs (and pcs) on always until they have crashed.. i think the longest my cube has been on was like 2 1/2 months and I had to restart it to install something...

i think your case may have just been a fluke..

10. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yeah the eMac looks pretty good for students on a budget and others in the same position.

on the subject of leaving computers on, i used to do that with my TiBook. but it would only last for about 2 days before i would have to restart. but i do only have 256 MB RAM. i'm going to get another 512 soon, i'll do the whole sleep thing again and see how long it lasts.

11. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

eMac size

they have been in stores here in japan since a few days after they went open to the public, it is very nice especially when on its clear plastic stand (polycarbonate?)

there is even a japanese web page where they have taken one all apart, very complex inside!
    and a giant fan at the back, cool air goes in under the front.

They do look bigger than the old imac,from the side, but don't take up more desk space width wise.