eMacs are defective.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kerouac, Oct 30, 2002.

1. kerouac macrumors newbie

just a warning.

i am a first time and last time mac user.
    i bought my eMac 4 weeks ago, and it is broken. the display pulsates and vibrates, and the geometery is warped.
    i took it in too be repaired, the techincan said he could not repair it. he said,when he spoke to apple tech support they said ALL eMacs are defective!
    it is getting worse. and i haven't even made my first payment on this computer.
    apple support has been NO help. they will not tell me what my rights are. they will not replace it. they will not fix it. compUSA also refuses to do anything as well, as i am past my 2 week return date.
    so i have been cheated out of $1,100.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I find it hard to believe that they are not honoring the warantee - they should replace or fix it for free if there is a problem. A friend of mine had the same thing happen to his and he had the whole machine replaced.

Good luck

D

3. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

that blows. my friend said that all the eMacs at her school have the same problem. she said some look like a "fish eye" lens. lame.

4. John C macrumors newbie

Sounds like your computer is too close too some speakers or another monitor or TV. Try setting up the Emac away from any other magnetic devices to see if it improves.

5. bidge macrumors 6502

Just to confrim that they are not all defeective, mine has no problems with it apart from a user caused problem when I shorted out the Firewire port.

Take it back again and again

6. medea macrumors 68030

medea

um, I think your full of "something" because all new macs come with a year of apple care included, which means that any hardware issues are taken care of for you in that year, and not ALL emacs are defective either and I highly doubt that any Apple rep would state that or anything close to that. Also, if you had this problem why did you wait for 2 weeks before going back to Compusa?? Look, you might be able to pull the wool over some pc users eyes, but not us.

7. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Didnt you just write this kerouac? http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=174026#post174026

"i recently purchased an eMac about a month ago.
    today i read an article stating there was a bad shipment of eMacs and that some displays do not work properly.
    so i went to the discussion forum at mac.com and now i am scared.
    it seemed there were many people who have a display problem.
    i found there were two major catagories of problems.
    the first being.
    1. (less minor) a pulse/jiggle in the lower right corner of the screen.
    2. (major) a pop sound, a burn smell, followed by a black screen.

thankfully i have not had any major problems. but i think there is a slight pulse.
    do you think this is something i should worry about?

are there any eMac users who do not have this problem?

or perhaps the same minor one i have?"

8. gbojim macrumors 6502

Just for everyone's information:

I do not own an eMac but a friend purchased one from a local reseller. This particular eMac had the "jiggle" problem. They took it back, the reseller checked it and replaced it no questions asked.

Getting a problem like this fixed should not be an issue at all.

9. TheJ macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear about your experience with Apple support.

My new iBook (first Mac) was broken out of the box. Needless to say I was pretty pissed. However, Apple support was fantastic. I sent the iBook out on a Wednesday, they fixed it on a Thursday, shipped it out the same day, and I got it back Friday.

I also got $200 of free software as an apology.

Be persistent, call them back, and demand they take it in for service!

10. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Yeah, stay on top of them. I've found that if you ask for a supervisor they are much more helpful. What sucks sometimes about Apple support is you get second-rate service if you don't have paid Apple Care. Good Luck.

11. macmax macrumors regular

Re: eMacs are defective.

i think u work for microsuck:cool:

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Apple is certainly willing to make things right and so is CompUSA, to a point.

I expect that you and your argument are defective. If the eMac has a problem, Apple and CompUSA will take care of it.

They're doing exactly that with my dad's two year old iMac right now.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Uh, you have 90 days free tech support, and a years warranty. You can also buy Applecare anytime within the year for $149 and get 3 years of free phone support and hardware repair. If you have to take it back a bunch of times, they just give you another one. Duh. What's wrong with you?

You're either a liar, or an idiot.

My first WinTel PC died, it happens. It sucks, but it happens. That's what warranties are for. I've had to send back parts for my new computer 3 times now. And I know people who are very happy with their Macs, e or i or otherwise. My Mom still uses my old Performa 6400 with OS 8.

Go buy a Gateway and see how many times you have to take it back to be repaired.

14. Ben Kei macrumors regular

I had a slight problem with my G4 when I first got it (every time I ran an installation program that asked for a restart it told me my startup disk was locked on startup!)
    Apple care were great, they talked me through a few chacks I could make and when it turned out to be a firmware problem they sent me a disk to update and I (almost) never had another problem... are you sure you called apple care? :D

15. macmax macrumors regular

My cousin had a problem with jis power cord after 2 years of use, we don't even live in theUSA and he wrote to apple, zoom, the next day he received a new power transformer and a prepaid order so he could send the broken one .

Apple is soooooooo, cool.
    You , microsuck lier undercover agent,hehhehhe:cool:

16. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Hey medea, it seems you pwned kerouac there...maybe he hasn't replied because he's cut..
    on another note, when my iPod had issues fairly soon after purchase, Apple handled it superbly and it was back in a couple of days...I asked for the service from Apple's website because i find it simpler than explaining to techs on the phone as I like saying things once only...however, the whole process was simple and effective and there were no problems what soever...

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

all models have their weaknesses in some of their machines

cubes, some of them, have cracks

apple crt monitors for powermacs often are blurry

but not ALL emacs are bad, but some are...it's just an inevitability

my ibook has cracks in the handle but other ibooks i saw seem ok:confused: :(

18. brice macrumors newbie

This person must be joking. The problem is sample for apple to fix there were some defective video cards that if you call any apple technician they can replace it in to hour. If your screen moves out of the viewing area or Vibrates a lot this could be your problem, hell if you have this problem just request that they do this fix. So who every you talk to didn’t know what they were talking about.

19. juanc01 macrumors newbie

I have had this problem as well

The problem is officially called a the "raster shift" problem. Apple has been helpful, but the eMac is in for the third time with display problems.
    Twice the raster shift, once with a different problem.
    I am being patient for now, because because of fine support, and quick service.
    This is not an isolated problem, I have found many reports of this while surfing around on Google.
    BUT, it is not with EVERY emac.

20. PC Clone macrumors member

21. juanc01 macrumors newbie

22. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Where I work we've had approximately 15 emacs go bad with the raster shift problem, and with some other problem (flash of light, doesn't turn on). Any way, we are running about a 30% failure rate on our emacs. Unfortunately, we have had several go in for the same problem 2-3 times. Fortunately, the tech people who fix them for Apple have been very good about fixing them under warranty.

I would suggest you continue to call Apple direct, maybe someone will eventually listen to you.

23. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

Call your credit card company.

You _did_ pay with a credit card, right?

-hh

24. DeadlyBreakfast macrumors regular

25. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

You wouldn't get away with calling this a "black" thread, or a "jew" thread, or anything else, so why call it a "gay" thread?

:rolleyes:
    pnw