eMacs - discontinued?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sbb155, Feb 26, 2005.

1. sbb155 macrumors 6502

I was at the apple store in saint louis west county tonight, and the emacs had been replaced by imacs in the "kids area"
    I asked an employee, and he said that the emacs were about to be discontinued.

Just thought you'd like to know...

Now only if I could choose between the 12, 15 and 17 PB I'd be a happy girl

Samantha

2. SteveC macrumors 6502

Not surprising, but not sure if it's definitely true either. Most employees get in trouble for saying stuff like that. It may have been a statement to get you to buy a higher priced machine.

3. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Can't be true. Apple HAS to offer a low-end model for EDU, or they will lose even more market share.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

There is still the Mac Mini, though that doesn't fit the bill quite as nearly as the eMac, I won't be mourning the loss of that boat anchor.

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The Mini made the eMac obsolete. It's too expensive for Apple to ship a 50 pound boat anchor for free. The price of the iMac will probably approach $999 within 12 months anyways.

6. SteveC macrumors 6502

They could always padlock a bunch of minis to a 400 lb. block of cement to prevent theft. ;) That wouldn't fit Apple "style" though, so they'd want to encase the cement with PowerBook casing (at a cost of many many thousand $) and it'll even LOOK awesome. ;)

7. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I will. It's heavy AND somewhat ugly so it can't/won't be stolen (Mini's can fit in a purse), it's inexpensive, and it runs GREAT. I have over 100 of them. Two failed during the year, and were fixed under warranty. 10-packs were going for 479.00 each. Can you name a better deal anywhere? Well? :)

8. SteveC macrumors 6502

100? Are you an education professional? What do you do?

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Would be amazing for Apple to kill them before seeing how the Mini does in education, but it wouldn't be surprising to see Apple cancel the consumer eMac and leave the machine in the education channel.

Apple did leave the CRT iMac sitting in education quite awhile after the LCD iMac showed up.

Without a low cost display for the Mini, the eMac is still a great education bargain -- and it's an extremely durable machine that isn't likely to walk out of the classroom.

Nobody really wants to steal eMacs, when there are always easier targets.

10. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

dir or technology..... EDU

11. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't care if the eMacs were discontinued. The mini can do the job of the eMac just as well. Plus it's cheaper.

12. relimw macrumors 6502a

Edu's can buy monitors in bulk fairly cheaply. Just padlock down the minis and let the Edu's buy their own monitors :)

After all, Best Buy sells a 17" flat screen crt for $100. I'm sure Edu discount would be at least $20-30 cheaper.

13. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

You may not, but a lot of others would. What would it hurt? Just me?
    And besides, the Mini is certainly not cheaper. I got 1Ghz eMacs with 1GB of ram, the extended warranty, SuperDrive, and Keynote for less than a grand. Let's price out a similarly configured Mini. No, you do it. I've already done it. And there are other threads that bring up excellent points and it's a waste of time to revisit them. Bottom line: There's solutions to every need, and the more options the better off we all are.
    That being said, I have a few coming, and I do plan on integrating them into a few projects.... but only if they pass muster.
    Peace.

14. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=112664

LOL, I made a thread about the exact same thing!

It was so weird, as I was there last week and they were eMacs, then today to get an Apple keyboard (which I LOVE!) and they were iMacs...

Also, maybe because of bad pixels or repair, but there was only one 30" Cinema Display...

15. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

The eMacs may just be getting updates...

Why would they discontinue the eMac? It was a rather successful, affordable machine. And it was pretty cheap to make - a CRT and minimum specs, sold for $800...

The Mac mini is not selling, so why would they make the eMac go away? To "boost" mac mini's sales? I don't think so...

Could be getting discontinued though

16. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Where did you get that? From what I heard they're selling pretty damn well.

17. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

They are selling exactly as the eMac is selling.

Partly because they purchase the iMac once they see it.

18. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Not selling? Yeah, that's why there is still a 3 to 4 week waiting period. All market analysts are reporting that demand is far surpassing supply.

19. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

maybe they are just discontinuing the current model? iono

20. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

21. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Where does this come from, the idea that hardware can be discounted by 20% - 30%? Best Buy probably pays $94 for that $100 monitor. There is no magical fairy dust that makes products cost less because the word "Educational" is spoken. Computer hardware hasn't had 30% markups since the '80's

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You're right even though some people are swimming in fairy dust, it doesn't seem to work in the real world. ;)

23. relimw macrumors 6502a

Hmm, you obviously don't know where to buy from then.
    Best Buy pays alot less than $94 dollars for a monitor. I (through work) can buy in low volume (1-10 units) the same monitor from the distributor for about $85 (that being the price my employer pays for each).

24. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Cheapest LCD there is a MAG which is 205.00 in quantity. But we like 17's, which are more of course. CRT's are not an option for us.

25. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I read that they had over 100,000 pre-orders. I guess that's nothing if you manufacture, say, buttons.