eMac's fan just STOPPED.....getting hot!!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by shadowmoses, Aug 8, 2005.

1. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

As the title implies my eMac's internal fan hhas stopped running. I only noticed this recently as it started giving out a burning smell as result ofintensive use with no fan on....

So when the scent of burning electronics hit my nose i had a look at the back of my eMac and noticed the fan wasnt spinning and hence why it was so quiet...

I have checked inside it to see if the fan connection was good and it is fine all plugged in firmly....But still no luck when i fire up the eMac the fan sits motionless....

Please if anyone has ANY idea of what could be causing this and a possible solutionplease help as i want my eMac back up and running!!!!

Thanks,

ShadOW

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

this may be a stupid question... but is there anything jammed into it that could possibly block the fan from spinning?

3. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

Well, I guess it's pretty obvious that the fan has died... So replace it.

4. shadowmoses thread starter macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Nothing is jammed, iam going to perform some further dissection of the eMac to see if the problem lies elsewhere.......

If the fan has died how can i go about replacing it as it isnt exactly a standard part or is it?

Thanks

SHadow

5. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I haven't seen it...but it should be a standard sized fan and you can pick those up anywhere. Measure it, then go to radioshack and see if they have it.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

And if you don't want to do it yourself, take it to an Authorized Apple Repair Center. If it's under warranty still, it should be free to replace.

7. shadowmoses thread starter macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Apple repair centre is not an option as i have done various mods to my eMac and it is past the 1year warranty.....

As for replacing the fan i have had a look around the internet and have seen that it is a hard job to doand does not always work smoothly as seen to "Jiggalicious" expense...

So now i am unsure over what to do as i have a fully fuctioning eMac except ther fan wont spin....Very confusing?????

SHadoW :confused:

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Having modded doesn't matter. You'll just have to pay if you're not confortable doing it yourself. As for the fan, maybe if you're lucky, the fan just died and it's replacable. If you're UNLUCKY, the power connector on the mobo is dead and that.. well that's bad. But unlikely. Probably just replacing the fan.