eMacs for £14 in Web bungle

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Apr 23, 2004.

1. macrumors G3

2. macrumors 65816

Dippo

They aren't obligated by law to honor those sales??

3. macrumors G3

Counterfit

4. macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    In the US unless there is a clear disclaimer saying not responsible for typographical errors (etc...) they are liable. Though odds are it would be cheaper to not honor it and take it up the ... from the government for false advertising. A lot of catalogs etc have boilerplate not our faults and limited supplies.

5. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  6. macrumors 6502a

csubear

but it is a fine example of if there where cheaper macs, there would be a huge mac marketshare.

i think....

7. macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Oh yes because obviously at £14 ($25) thats actually a concern. Gimme a break... :confused:

8. macrumors 6502a

Obviously not at that price, but if they made a headless Mac at $499, I'm sure lots of people would snatch that up quickly, too.

9. macrumors 65816

Dippo

Well considering only 20,000 people bought 100 million of them....

That means each person bought an average of 5,000!!

Probably a bunch of Mac lovers who thought they were getting a "too good to be true deal"

10. macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

we can dream, can't we? i would have happily bought a few for myself and a couple for each of my closest friends. :D

11. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Heck for $25 I would buy eMacs for my entire school district.

12. macrumors 68020

wow... that's a lot of emacs... i don't have room for them, thats for sure. (5000 @ $25 is about $125,000) eek!

13. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yeah companies are almost never liable for typos like this... i remember back in the late 90s, MacAddict reviewed a graphics pad with an LCD display built right in, so you could draw on the screen... it was supposed to be listed at $2,999, but was instead listed at $29.99, which pissed a few people off.

paul

14. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

But was it in the review, or in an ad from the company?

15. macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Yeah, but most of the people that would be buying them would be ones who would have or already have spent the money on a reg. iMac or another mac.

Not only that, their profits would be so low that they would not gain much from doing that. They would have to sell over twice as many iMacs as they do now to break even considering the average iMac price right now is around $1700+ roughly. Would not be a good move financially. Would help their user base if they sold more, but I would guess that many would be sold to mac users as a second machine?!?! Which doesn't help them as much as if they were to market the emac not only to education but as an entry level mac for consumers, then made the iMac a high end consumer mac.

16. macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Think the lawyers are gonna be busy settling this for some time.
    But think if Apple had met the orders and shipped the units. 90% market share in a country like Japan!!! d**n, just charge the c**p out of them for service, software, OS updates, etc., etc. They'd recoup their losses quick enough. :rolleyes:

17. macrumors 65816

Dippo

Actually Apple wouldn't be the one taking the loss. The Japanese company would still have to buy the eMacs wholesale from Apple and sell them for less.

Of course it probably would have been cheaper to go bankrupt, then to fulfill the orders (if they were required by law to do so)