Email Address Help

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by andypullen, Jun 22, 2009.

1. macrumors member

andypullen

I've setup a server at server.example.com which makes all of the users have an email address of user@server.example.com but I want it to be just user@example.com without the use of the server's subdomain. I cannot seem to find anything about this online, or at least that I really understand. How do I get this setup to work right? Thanks for the help.

2. macrumors member

iphong

No it doesn't mean that all of your users have user@server.example.com. You need to go to your directory and right below to the grayed out short name, you need to add an alias call user@server.example.com.

To use user@example.com, go to your DNS settings, and create a new alias (CNAME) called "example.com." in your example.com. zone, and point it to server.example.com, and also create a MX record for example.com too.

Then in the Mail -> Advanced -> Hosting, add example.com as an alias.

Finally go to Directory and add a new shortname to your user (e.g. name@example.com)

Also point your client DNS setting in the System Prefs to your server IP address.

3. thread starter macrumors member

andypullen

Excellent. Thanks a lot!

4. macrumors P6

twoodcc

did you get it to work?

5. thread starter macrumors member

andypullen

I haven't tried. I'm setting up a test server booting off of a FW400 drive, and I'm doing this all on the side. I work at a church with about 20 employees, and I think we're getting to the place where a server might make sense. So when I tweak the server settings, I usually try to find a good block of time when I won't need my macbook for normal work stuff, and I can just go to town. Are you trying to get this to work to, or would you do something else?

6. macrumors P6

twoodcc

let me know if you get it to work. i've tried to get it to work in the past, with no success