Email Address Not Found - OS X Lion Email Server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by gopherhockey, Jul 24, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

gopherhockey

I set up Lion Server and configured it to be an email server. Pretty straight forward. I configured its domain, then created a user with an email account.

I can test connectivity to the server and all is well. I can send from the server as a logged in user. What I cannot do is receive email... if I try send an email to the server (either locally via telnet to port 25 or externally) I get:

Generating server: california.mydomain.com

address@mydomain.com
    #< #5.1.1 x-unix; user unknown> #SMTP#

The email server appears to be able to receive the message, but is not able to associate a user and the email address I have configured for said user.

Its like I'm missing some part of the directory that tells the mail server who is who, but everything is so straight forward and simple I can't see what is missing.

(I have run Exchange in the past, 10+ years experience running corporate email servers... this seems too simple by comparison)

2. macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem, and fixed it. I posted it elsewhere, but I will repost here:

Hope this helps.

3. macrumors 6502a

To make it simpler: did you add <user>@domain to the short names of <user> in Workgroup Manager? If not, doing so will likely make it work.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

gopherhockey

When I look at the short names, its greyed out... I cannot modify this setting even though I'm in as the diradmin.

What exactly do you mean when you say you added the email addresses to the short names?

Note: my directory shows /LDAPv3/127.0.0.1 Not sure if thats correct...?

5. thread starter macrumors regular

gopherhockey

I'm on my 3rd re-install of the entire OS & Server. I think you are right in that this is not very Apple-like. At least from a Microsoft server expert, this seems very lacking in tools and is not at all as simple as it looks (in fact by making it too simple I think they made it harder)

To start over, I'm curious... past video's I've seen on configuring open directory say to set dns a certain way. I have DNS running on another server, so I'm not setting it up locally.

However, by default my machine is a .local address. Should I be changing this before I install open directory?

I'm concerned that it should be my domain.com and that the .local stuff is causing some issues.

I guess I'll have to be a bit more patient until walk-throughs start showing up on how to set up open directory and email from scratch on a Lion server.

6. macrumors 6502a

Yes. My domain's DNS is on the internet, but I still let it create DNS for it. What it does basically, is creating a local zone for your domain with just the machine in it. DNS creation is done in the background, just feed the domain during setup and don't mess with it. Local services seem to depend on this.

My LDAP is the same as yours btw.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

gopherhockey

Odd. I created a user with short name "john"

I then created a second short name: john.lastname@domain.com

Cannot get that to work for the life of me.

Finally today created a 3rd short name: john@domain.com

This works fine.

Now I get that short names are what control the smtp delivery, but you can't just add smtp addresses in there. To get this to work, I added just "john.lastname" as a short name, and now all is good.

This isn't intuitive at all.