Email app keeps telling me my password is wrong even though it is correct

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by kat.hayes, Dec 6, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Oct 10, 2011
    Occasionally the email app will not download my gmail and a prompt comes up asking me to reenter the password because it's incorrect. The password is correct and I reenter the correct one. I'm able to check my gmail in safari, it's just the email app not working. It has happened before though it just starts working again. Today it has stopped working for several hours. Any idea why it might be doing this? I have gmail setup as an exchange account.

2. macrumors 6502a

Mar 26, 2009
    i had the same issue it was SUPER annoying the best quickest fix I found was to go in google and change my pw and reinput the new pw in exchange and in all my other settings
  3. macrumors 65816

Aug 6, 2008
    St. Louis
    Yeah, I had a password with a space in it, and my iPhone would get it "wrong" half the time, telling me my password was wrong, even when I entered it correctly.

The only fix I found was to simply change my password to something else. Something less complex.
  4. macrumors 6502

Sep 27, 2008
    I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Even though the password was correct I kept getting a failure message. After some googling I found the google captcha site and that fixed my problem.

It happened a couple more times but that still fixed it. Haven't had trouble since but if I do I'll just try to find a way to disable it.
  5. macrumors 65816

Aug 26, 2008
    Just turn the phone off and power back up. That fixes it everytime my Gmail feels like acting up. If after that i'd look at maybe a password reset but power down has always worked for me
  6. macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Have you tried to setup gmail as an exchange account rather than an IMAP account?

I've run into the same issue before but not after I switched my setup to exchange.
  7. macrumors G3

Jan 9, 2008
    Sunny, Southern California
    Thank you, this seems to have done the trick, it was driving both me and the wife nuts. Worked like a charm.
  8. macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2009
    Thanks, Almy

The Captcha link did it for me. I have an iMac, iPhone, Mac Pro, MacBook, iPad and iPad Mini - I guess Google thought I was trying to pull something on them.

Thanks for the link.

9. macrumors 6502

Sep 27, 2008