Email message doesn't close after deleting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aniej, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I have been struggling to resolve this problem for quite some time now and would love some help if you know what to do here.

2. island macrumors 6502

island

Usually when I get a problem like this (rare), I run a diagnostics and reload Tiger with a System Backup. Then restore your important programs first and make sure nothing you install messes up the Mail feature.

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I don't know if I understand what the problem is here. Do you mean that you delete the mail from your Inbox while it's open and the window with the open mail doesn't close? This would be ok, I think, as the mail would still be in your Trash. I think a re-install is a little too much in this case...

But perhaps I completely misunderstood your problem. It might be good to tell us a little bit more...

4. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

You understand it perfectly. The window with the message that has popped up and is open, often remains on the screen and does not automatically close following my pressing the delete key. I know that it deletes it and is "ok," but I find it pretty frustrating to have a helpful feature like this not functioning properly, so suggestions as how to remedy this would be great. And, I agree that a re-install of tiger would be a drastic step, especially in light of the fact that this hard drive is brand new and required a complete install less than a month ago. Thanks for any help you can give.

5. gavd macrumors 6502a

I had this problem a while ago and never did manage to work out a fix for it. However it doesn't happen to me anymore.

It was a while ago, but I think this could have been when I was using POP3 in mail rather than the IMAP mail (.mac) I use now. I doubt that the problem was necessarily related to that, but I can't think of any other changes I would have made which resulted in the problem sorting itself out.

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I'd like to know if the window closes as soon as you delete the mail from your Trash. I think the delete action is just a moving to the trash, so there's no need to close the window, as the mail is still there. It should close when you permanently delete the mail from your Trash, I agree.

7. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

both of your suggestion are really missing the entire point and becoming more of a distraction than a help. I do not want to have tons of windows open and then the added step of going to mail's trash each time I want them to close.

8. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Hmm, I think you missed my point. What I wanted to say is that this might not be a bug. If you want to close the window, then close it by pushing the red circle button. It's perhaps not intended that the window is closed when you delete the mail (i.e. move it to the Trash). I don't know of a workaround either.

Well, as it seems that you don't want me to talk about my point of view, I just shut up here and let others do the talking... I hope you'll find the help you want.

9. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

The fact that for the last five years on both of my other Macs simply pressing the delete button results in the desired action, i.e., both deleting and closing the window, lends itself as pretty decent evidence that the problem I am having is an aberration and is not supposed to happen. I was also not silencing you, but do appreciate your allowing others to contribute because people often hold off when they see someone has given as direct an answer as the ones provided. Thanks.