1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

email + music

Discussion in 'iPod' started by rye9, Apr 5, 2006.

1. macrumors 65816

rye9

Is it possible to email music?

2. macrumors 68000

Sure. Attach the MP3 file.

If you embed it in the email so it plays when it is viewed, I can hardly think of something that would be more annoying than that. I would killl someone who did that to me.

3. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sending Apple Lossless files over e-mail is also generally frowned on...although I don't personally condone killing people. :)

4. macrumors newbie

some mail servers limit attachment size, i've seen limits as low as 2 mb, but im sure some are even lower. *.mp3 > 2mb = no email in that case.

5. macrumors G4

dmw007

Yep, just attach the music file as an attachment to the e-mail. But as nattyz has said, there could be a size limitation. :)

6. macrumors 68000

Sure, but free email accounts like Yahoo and Gmail allow 10MB atachments and paid services often allow larger ones.

7. macrumors 65816

rye9

What is Mail's limitations for size?

8. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

The attachment size limitation has nothing to do with the mail program you use, it's determined by your ISP.

9. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

To my knowledge, Mail doesn't have a built-in limitation on attachment size...I have no idea why it would. Limitations are imposed by the service providing the e-mail access (both incoming or outgoing). Mail is simply a program for reading that e-mail.

Edit: Missed it by *that* much!

10. macrumors 65816

rye9

My account is aol... does anyone know the limitations for AOL?

11. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

16 MB, perhaps?