Email not sending but I am receiving?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by morgan113, Mar 7, 2007.

1. morgan113 macrumors newbie

My email has always worked fine, but all of a sudden, when I send an email, instead of sending, it goes directly into my Outbox.* I am running OS X.* I am online, and can receive emails, but not send them.* How can I fix this?* Thanks!

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

sounds like something changed on you outgoing settings or something changed on the server (most likely you).

The reason you can still receive is because they are different systems most of the time.

Make sure you have your outgoing setting all set correctly, or see maybe if there was a change and you need to do something different.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

What kind of account are you using? Like, gmail? Dot Mac? And I'm assuming you're having issues with the actual Mail app, right? :)

4. morgan113 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mail problems

I'm not very good at system stuff but have no idea why all of a sudden I can't email out yet can get email. I don't do system stuff so I don't know what could have changed.

I'm using mac Mail but also have Entourage and the same thing is happening with it so it's not that software so must be some setting. I just don't know what setting it could be. Any suggestions as to what it could be and if it is a setting, what the setting's should be set to.

Thanks for any info.

Morgan

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Who provides your email account? Was it given to you by your ISP? Contact whoever provides the account and ask for the SMTP settings. Once you have this setting, go to the Accounts pane in Mail's Preferences and add it next to the SMTP drop down menu, if it's not already there. If it is there, make sure it's connected.

If this still doesn't help, then we may need to check port settings on your router/firewall. Have you (or anyone else) made any changes to the firewall recently? :)

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

So how long has this been happening- I have had issues sending mail on .Mac occasionally but no settings were changed, etc. It may pass- again- how long and who is your email through?

7. morgan113 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help

Thank you all for your help.

So far this morning everything seems to work. I have no idea why but it is working right now. I'll respond again if I still have a problem.

Morgan

8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

We never did hear who your email provider is???? Intermittent problems that affect email for a half day or so occasionally happen- servers go down, glitches, etc. Certainly if it went on for two days that would be grounds for looking into it further, but unless you change settings then I would start with your email provider and see if they are having issues with servers, etc.

I know with .Mac I can check the web site and it will show some of the outtages, but often times I will have issues when they don't show up for most .Mac members and never shows up on the .Mac website where they list the status of servers, etc.

Hope it stay up and running for you! Let us know who your email provider is and how long it was out of service- that helps others that surf these fourums!!

9. kingkloud macrumors newbie

if you are offsite or travelling and trying to send, the ISP (server you are using) will be looking for its SMTP (outgoing/send) info but you've got yours.

eg

I own yesyesyes.com and use comcast for home internet. I can receive fine no matter where I am but if I go offsite or if I'm traveling and I'm not on a Comcast server (tmobile, a friend's ATT or Verizon DSL etc), I am unable to SEND via their service.

If it's someone I know, I get their logon and save that as second server. If it's not I use a web-based mail like mail2web.com. It sucks but it's all you can do (as far as I know)

10. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

Hello, I had the same issue for ages but just used Gmail and .Mac instead. But a while ago I looked in the Mail help area and found out that many ISPs block the usual out port for email to prevent spam. I simply changed it to another port.

If this is gibberish I can look up the help file for you.

Are you in the UK? If not where?

Correct me if I got all this completly wrong :(

11. morgan113 thread starter macrumors newbie

Email problems

I live in Toronto, Ontario, and my provider is Bell Sympatico.

I did have the same trouble about two weeks ago and did call them. Bottom line is that they said the problem was at my end. It cleared itself again that same day and just started again yesterday. Today, it's fine.

I've been on a mac for years so you would think that I would know some system stuff by now.

Thanks

Morgan