Email Notification App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by matt18012, Jan 12, 2005.

1. matt18012 macrumors member

I'm looking for an app that will notify me (maybe a popup window like iChat?) when I have mail in my inbox. Often i'm working and forget to check mail.app on a regular basis....anything out there that will do this?

Also, what's a good app to archive email? Right now i'm using my own apple script to copy the messages to my FW HD...maybe there's an eaiser way?

Thanks for your help

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Perhaps I don’t see your problem, but why don’t you set Mail to autocheck your mail every five minutes or so. Then, when some emails arrived, you can see the number of unread mails on the Mail icon in the dock.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just add a rule (Mail->Preferences->Rules) to bounce the icon with every new message.

Should work just fine for you.

BTW, the image below is OK, but, when the server is really busy (like now), you might see a question mark; reload, and you should see the image,

Attached Files:

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

5. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I second the mailappetizer advice. It's an awesome app that mail should include. Best of all it's free.

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i've been using Growl for a while.. but i think it only notifies of new emial in my Hotmail account for some reason...? :confused:

i'm going to check it out and see if there's any way to have it notify of any new mail in all or the different accounts.

mail.appetiser looks good... but too much for my tastes. after all, if you want to read the email, why not do it in Mail.app?

edit>>>

i just read a bit more about mail.appetiser... i realised it does more than just show the email... i've got to try this out!! thanks for the link! :D

7. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I use Fastmail Fastmail and access via IMAP. This means the mail stays on the server and I can access it from anywhere. For archive purposes I've found that Thunderbird has the best search facilities, so I can search for messages between specified dates (I do it every month) and then copy the emails in the search list to a local Thunderbird mail folder on my hard drive. I normally use mail.app for regular mail reading (like the look and feel better) and just use Thunderbird every month to do the archive. The Tbird mail box format has been around a good while in Mozilla, so I think it will be around a while longer.

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I just installed that mail.appetizer and it is really cool. I never even thought I needed something like that, but it is really useful.

9. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

I must be missing something.

Why not just leave mail running in the background -- it automatically counts the number of unread messages in your inbox with a big red circle in the dock icon.

10. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Yeah, isn't it great? When I installed it first I thought it was a nice gimmick but nothing THAT useful. Now I couldn't live without it.
    It's so nice having a quick overview if an email is important while you're working and if you need to read it all or not.
    I love this little thing. :)

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Because there's nothing to draw your attention to it, and many users end up always having unread messages, at least often, so the red circle is always there, and its not noticeable when the count in it changes.

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Because I have my dock auto-hide so I can't see that. I also normally have sound muted so audio alerts are no good. It also conveys more information than the number of unread mails. I can decide whether the mail is important, or interesting enough to need reading right no without needing to stop what I'm doing.

13. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

For me mail plays a sound as well as adding the red dot when I get a new message, I thought it did that by default because I didn't set it. That is plenty of notification for me.

14. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

mail.appetizer is superb, only drawback is that is doesn't work with hotmail accounts. No great loss in my eyes ;)

15. Logik macrumors 6502a

I'm giving mail.appetizer a shot right now. Any recommendations for mail backups? I guess I can always sync my mail folder using Synk, but i was hoping for some sort of other archiving tool.

16. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

preferences>general>new mail sound

I have ours set on glass, sounds like thumping crystal, we use check every min.

Works like pavlovs dog, ding-and we come running! :D

17. PickledSquirrel macrumors regular

PickledSquirrel

Im trying out appetizer. Didn't think I needed something like this, but then again, didn't think I needed quicksilver:D I guess I'm not to be trusted

-Squirrel

18. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Mail plays a sound for me for all mails that come in regardless of the destination folder (though I had to mess around a bit with the settings to get the sound to work on all incoming mails regardless of destination), but the number in the red dot only shows up for mails that land in the inbox - it doesn't show up when the mails are set to go directly to a specific folder I've created. Anyone know how to make the red-dot number completely accurate?

I used to rely on the sound and red dot, but I tried appetizer because of this thread and I LOVE it :D

19. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I just started with appetizer , it's amazing... thanks for the link...

20. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef