email & pim program

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by concrete, Jul 7, 2002.

1. concrete macrumors newbie

I've just switched to mac (emac), but i'm looking for a good email & pim program (can be seperate).

I'm a "heavy" emailer and I do keep them all. I've heard that entourage can be slow if you have a lot of emails in the database.

second problem is moving my emails from my pc (outlook) to my new emac (over 0,6 GB of it). Moving over an IMAP server is not possible (free accounts are way to small).

so any sugestions...
    is the free mail program in osX up for a lot of messages, and is it possible to archive messages.

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I use the Mail app that comes with OS X, and have set up more then a few filters to get rid of the crap email/spam that I seem to get constantly hit with. It's easy to make additional mailboxes/folders to organize email with as well.

As for importing your email from outlook, you could get the free version of outlook for the Mac (runs under OS 9.x) to pull your peecee email into. Then you can import it into OS X's Mail app.

Which instant messengers do you use?? I use Fire for my messengers (Yahoo and AIM), except for ICQ (I use the OS X native version of that).

3. concrete thread starter macrumors newbie

archive email

is there a way to archieve old email in the default mail program in osx?

is it possible to do this automatic?

i don't use any messanger service for the moment

and what about pim's?

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: archive email

Try it out and see how it works... You could set up a rule that moves email that meet the spec's to another folder.

I have found that outlook's 'automatic' archiving will corrupt email very easily. Many people here, on peecee's, have had it happen. With the Mac, you are more responsible for your own archiving.

WTF are these "pim's" that you keep referring to??

5. concrete thread starter macrumors newbie

pim

Personal Information Manager

like outlook, entourage, palm desktop....

features i need
    - agenda
    - todo list
    - adresses (would be nice if it's the same adress book as my mail app)

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

one thing that keeps me from using the mail.app

(as far as i know) you can't selectively delete messages from the server...

i like to keep things on the server cause i use both my computer and my parents' so that way i can have access to any email i need on both.... but with mail.app you can only delete all messages from the server or none...

once that changes, i will switch....

7. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

It sounds like IMAP would work well for you if that's not what you're using now... Unless you have too much mail. You can selectively delete messages with that.

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

sorry to be dumb....

imap?

i know very little about that. is that something i can just up and switch to or is it something my email server would have....?

thanks for holding back the laughter at my ignorance... ha

ps. you selectively delete messages using mail.app?

9. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

IMAP is a server synchronized mail account. As opposed to POP, which isn't server sync-ed.

It's a setting on your accounts. It's nearly impossible to get to in Entourage / outlook, but quite simple with Mail. However, you can't keep lots of email, as the messages stay on the server. Well, I take that back, in Mail, you just move the ones you want to keep into a new folder in the personal mailboxes area.

Basically, you specify IMAP or POP when you create your account in your mail app. As far as I know you can't change it, though, once you've set it. I could be wrong, though.

10. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

You could try Nutscrape 6.2. It's bloatware but it sounds like that's what you need. Entourage isn't bad but I've been looking for a reason to give it das boot. It's just clunky. But all in all it works pretty well.

The security on it is miserable. I couldn't use it for the longest time because every time i would try to run the program it would say that "user x_x is already running this copy of office". Come to find out that someone had been running my copy of office remotely through my internet connection. Typical microsoft bullsh*t. but i fixed that little problem.

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

imap

i'm still not sure i follow totally.... i tried setting my account up as imap and from what i understand when i delete a message in mail, it contacts the server and deletes it? so essentially everything i have stays on the server unless i don't want it at all....?

what i like to do is delete from my mailbox and the server whatever i don't want. but just delete from the server what i do want, and just keep it in my mail box... or if i know i'll need to access it from elsewhere, i'll leave it on the server....

it seems imap puts too much hassle on the server, unless i'm not following....

thanks for the info though. good thing to learn about

12. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: imap

With POP3, your email client tells your email server, "show me all the new mail you have for this account," and then it downloads all the new messages onto your computer. You can set the email client to delete the messages from the server once they're downloaded if you like, but I don't think you can do it selectively.

With IMAP, all the mail stays on the server - you have Inbox, Trash, etc. folders just like you do with POP, but they're stored on the server instead of on your computer, so you can log into your email account from any computer anywhere with any email client and still be able to read all your mail. You can set Mail.app (or whatever you're using) to cache the mail locally too, so that you can read it offline. When you delete a message, both the message and the local cached copy (if you have that enabled) get deleted. You can copy/move messages from the server to your local folders with drag & drop. The only real problem with IMAP is the 5MB (or 10MB, or whatever your ISP sets it to) limit. You can't have any more mail than that, as opposed to your own computer, which can store as much mail as can fill the hard drive.

You'd have to check with your ISP to see if they offer IMAP service. I think most do, but I'm not sure.

Alex

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: imap

I just checked, and Earthlink uses the POP account type, not IMAP. All the instructions that they have available give the type as either POP or POP3.

I don't know about AOHell, or the other ISP's, but I was able to get the above info pretty easily from Earthlink's online help section.

14. Cappy macrumors 6502

When I have inquired with local isp's in the past about imap, there have always been three reasons they claim that they won't do it.

1. Too much overhead on the servers creates performance hit.

2. They don't want to provide the service of holding email because then the non-educated or even whacko's gripe, bitch, and moan about not getting email when their mailbox is full. Essentially this adds overhead then to the support personnel.

3. Security issues. They claim imap is less secure of an email system to run than pop3.

I've never researched these myself and perhaps some have been addressed now in some manner(this was a few years ago when I asked) but these comments have been pretty consistent.

15. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I can understand #1 and #2. #3 has been addressed now with IMAP over SSL (which Mail.app does support).

If your ISP doesn't offer IMAP service, you can get it from a free provider or subscribe to it. Mac.com mail is IMAP and free. MyRealBox.com will give you 10MB free (and ad-free) also. I'm sure you could find more by doing a Google search or something.

Alex