Email program for Mac OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trishk, Nov 2, 2004.

1. trishk macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of a free email program for OSX that will allow me to create an HTML email template and save for future use? I am a small business owner and send weekly emails to my customers and I need to be able to save a template with my logo, contact information, etc. I am currently using Eudora's freeware but need to change because I am switching from dial-up to to DSL and am maintaining my dial-up email address, which is through a different server. Eudora does not allow this since my DSL server requires authentication (even though their website says they do). I have worked with several tech support people on this and cannot get it to work. In Eudora, I can save an email as stationary, which works similar to a template, but Eudora is very limited in the creation of HTML emails. I used to use Netscape and it worked perfectly for what I need. Unlimited capability in creating HTML emails and a template feature, but Netscape's updates were not working well on my computer. With each new version, I had more and more crashes and bugs. Although, since upgrading my computer to OSX, I have not tried Netscape's newest version. Has anyone tried the newest version and is does it work ok? Thanks in advance to anyone who can understand this email enough to offer some suggestions.

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

3. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Absolutely, Mozilla. I second cluthz´s suggestion.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Thunderbird is definitely a great choice, even if it's not quite finished.

5. lazymuoio macrumors member

Mozillas thunderbird is defiently a good choice

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Thunderbird is 0.8 release. I have absolutely no compatibility problems with it.
    It runs great and manages my 4 email accounts with ease.
    I've been using thunderbird since version 0.6 and i've been happy with it all the way. The earlier releases was a bit buggy but 0.8 is rock solid.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've been running it as long. Version 0.8 is buggy. Version 0.7.3 would empty the trash on exit, 0.8 would not. I had to uncheck and check the option to get it to work properly. Junk mail was also not being routed to the trash after expiration but I haven't checked that lately.

8. trishk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thunderbird seems to be the program of choice, and thanks everyone for responding, but what about the browser Mozilla? Is that as good as internet explorer?

9. bux macrumors regular

Personally I think that almost any browser is better then Internet Explorer.
    And on OS X Safari is my favorite on other systems I prefer Mozilla Firefox.

10. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

YES!!

IE isn't updated for ages on the mac platform! Don't use it.
    Safari is apples browser, it's fairly good.
    I'm using Mozilla, because of some things that i don't like about Safari.
    If you want to change the default browser on your mac, you have to open Safari and set it in the preferences.
    Firefox is also a good alternative, its built on the mozilla engine.
    If you like a small and fast browser Camino is the way to go.

All these browsers (except safari and ie which is already installed on your computer) is available on http://www.mozilla.org

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you're going to use Thunderbird, Firefox is a good choice for your browser. You can choose Mozilla and just forget the other two since Mozilla is an application suite.

12. MagicSpic macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a question for all of you on the same subject. My school uses Lotus Notes for our campus e-mail servers. I have searched for like 3 months for a working Lotus Notes client for OS X and I have yet to find one. IBM has a OS9 client which I downloaded and tried to run, but it doesn't work even though they claim it works if you run it under classic mode. Does anyone know any e-mail client that is fully compatible with Lotus Notes? It's so frustrating having to use webmail especially since Firefox/Mozilla/Safari/IE:Mac are not certified by whoever to access the iNotes servers and therefore my web-mail looks ridiculously retarded.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

According to the Lotus web site, (http://www.lotus.com/products/product4.nsf/wdocs/noteshomepage) Lotus Notes 6.5 is available in a Mac OS X client.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Thunderbird v. 0.9 is much better for me. The trash problem is gone now.

15. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

The new "saved search" (smart/virtual folders) is pretty cool too.

16. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I downloaded 0.9 yesterday, haven't tried it out much.
    The thunderbird team is surely speeding up the developement lately.
    They used several months going from 0.7-0.7.3, and now they have released both 0.8 and 0.9 over a few weeks..