Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Unfortunately I believe there's much confusion regarding the official launch of the Apple Watch. Not only from us, but even from Apple employees themselves. It's not typical, but because of this I reached out via Tim Cook's email. The message reads as follows:

"Hi Tim, congratulations on the pre-order success of the Apple watch. It's a wonderful, beautifully crafted forward thinking product that I know anyone who gets their hands on will love. I had a fabulous time trying it on this evening.

With that said, I see the Apple Watch launch advertised as the 24th of April, which is great. When I heard that, along with many others, I looked forward to ordering it then or at least reserving it the night before to pick up at the Apple Store, similar to every other launch Apple's done.

I'm now hearing from reputable sources that "The Apple Watch will not be available on *launch* day.".

Yes, I did have to read that a few times to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding it. Apparently, the several articles mention that the pre order is the only method of obtaining the Watch on or after the 24th. So, my question to you is - am I misunderstanding this along with I'm sure millions of others waiting to buy it in store on the 24th? With all due respect, The Apple Store is a retail store, where things should be stocked and available for purchase. As well designed as the try on tables are, the Apple retail store is not simply a "try on and order it online (like I could have at home)" gateway, in my humble opinion.

In fact, I did try ordering the Watch (specifically the 42mm SS w/ Milanese Loop) at 3:01am, the site not loading on multiple devices for me, regardless of the network I was connected to. Again, I tried at 3:05am, slowly losing my chance of getting the preorder through before sell out. Eventually, I was able to access the site at 3:40am, only to find not only the model I wanted, but almost every other model had either a 4-6 week shipping wait, all the way to June. This is not exactly the most luxurious of methods for a launch that's so focused on providing the utmost customer experience but nonetheless, "Fine", I said - disappointed but not entirely upset, "I'll just have to join the crowd again at the Store this year.", I said to myself - "It'll give me something to look forward to".

Then, as I looked into this further, I found this:

"To provide the best experience and selection to as many customers as we can, we will be taking orders for Apple Watch exclusively online during the initial launch period," said Angela Ahrendts.

I apologize for this if I'm mistaken, but with all the (little) information surrounding the launch, this leads me to believe that the launch is no longer.

I think it'd be silly not to believe that there will be queues lined up around the globe on launch day if the "online exclusive" information regarding the (false) advertisement of a launch day isn't spread soon and fast.

The way I see it is, April 10th should have been marketed as the launch, it should have been carefully explained that it will be an online exclusive launch until supply can meet demand. If that were said, then what I'm hearing would make complete sense. But why go on to announce a launch day of what is essentially just a delivery day for pre orders.

Never has a preorder delivery date meant launch.

Now, if the Watch will indeed be available on launch day, as it rightly should, even with limited stock, then it's appropriate to label it launch day.

Sorry for going on about it, but I can't help but say I'm surprised at how Ill informed retail staff, both online and in-store, are about this matter - and the Watch in general. I've heard several comments ranging from - "you'll be able to reserve one for store pickup beginning on the 23rd" all the way to what the reports have been saying, "the watch will only be available to order online, just as it is now, come launch day", said another. This is not how an Apple launch should be ran, and this alone is disappointing coming from a company of such magnitude.

If anything, I'd appreciate a reply from someone informed on the matter so things can be cleared up. I'm not at all associated with the press, just a loyal, somewhat worried fan of Apple.

So my question to you:
Is the 24th really a launch date, or is it a delivery timeframe for the mostly unadvertised preorder?

Thank you for helping to clear the confusion,
Andrew"​

Does anyone else agree with the points made?

Who else is somewhat frustrated with the launch thus far?

Update:

The intent of the thread wasn't to start a mockery of emailing essentially escalated Apple customer support, we all know this doesn't go directly to Tim. I simply wanted to start a discussion based on what the launch has been. If you'd like to add to that, then by all means go ahead.

Tim's response: "Why didn't you just stay up till midnight?"

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
East coaster here. Got up at 3am and ordered, then went back to bed.

I figure it will be here when it gets here.

Regarding the letter... Wow. That's what I call word salad. Way too long. Next time, state your complaint or ask your question in one or two sentences, at most.

----------

May want to change your location, unless they've moved San Francisco to Florida.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Unfortunately I believe there's much confusion regarding the official launch of the Apple Watch. Not only from us, but even from Apple employees themselves. It's not typical, but because of this I reached out via Tim Cook's email. The message reads as follows:

"Hi Tim, congratulations on the pre-order success of the Apple watch. It's a wonderful, beautifully crafted forward thinking product that I know anyone who gets their hands on will love. I had a fabulous time trying it on this evening.

With that said, I see the Apple Watch launch advertised as the 24th of April, which is great. When I heard that, along with many others, I looked forward to ordering it then or at least reserving it the night before to pick up at the Apple Store, similar to every other launch Apple's done.

I'm now hearing from reputable sources that "The Apple Watch will not be available on *launch* day.".

Yes, I did have to read that a few times to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding it. Apparently, the several articles mention that the pre order is the only method of obtaining the Watch on or after the 24th. So, my question to you is - am I misunderstanding this along with I'm sure millions of others waiting to buy it in store on the 24th? With all due respect, The Apple Store is a retail store, where things should be stocked and available for purchase. As well designed as the try on tables are, the Apple retail store is not simply a "try on and order it online (like I could have at home)" gateway, in my humble opinion.

In fact, I did try ordering the Watch (specifically the 42mm SS w/ Milanese Loop) at 3:01am, the site not loading on multiple devices for me, regardless of the network I was connected to. Again, I tried at 3:05am, slowly losing my chance of getting the preorder through before sell out. Eventually, I was able to access the site at 3:40am, only to find not only the model I wanted, but almost every other model had either a 4-6 week shipping wait, all the way to June. This is not exactly the most luxurious of methods for a launch that's so focused on providing the utmost customer experience but nonetheless, "Fine", I said - disappointed but not entirely upset, "I'll just have to join the crowd again at the Store this year.", I said to myself - "It'll give me something to look forward to".

Then, as I looked into this further, I found this:

"To provide the best experience and selection to as many customers as we can, we will be taking orders for Apple Watch exclusively online during the initial launch period," said Angela Ahrendts.

I apologize for this if I'm mistaken, but with all the (little) information surrounding the launch, this leads me to believe that the launch is no longer.

I think it'd be silly not to believe that there will be queues lined up around the globe on launch day if the "online exclusive" information regarding the (false) advertisement of a launch day isn't spread soon and fast.

The way I see it is, April 10th should have been marketed as the launch, it should have been carefully explained that it will be an online exclusive launch until supply can meet demand. If that were said, then what I'm hearing would make complete sense. But why go on to announce a launch day of what is essentially just a delivery day for pre orders.

Never has a preorder delivery date meant launch.

Now, if the Watch will indeed be available on launch day, as it rightly should, even with limited stock, then it's appropriate to label it launch day.

Sorry for going on about it, but I can't help but say I'm surprised at how Ill informed retail staff, both online and in-store, are about this matter - and the Watch in general. I've heard several comments ranging from - "you'll be able to reserve one for store pickup beginning on the 23rd" all the way to what the reports have been saying, "the watch will only be available to order online, just as it is now, come launch day", said another. This is not how an Apple launch should be ran, and this alone is disappointing coming from a company of such magnitude.

If anything, I'd appreciate a reply from someone informed on the matter so things can be cleared up. I'm not at all associated with the press, just a loyal, somewhat worried fan of Apple.

So my question to you:
Is the 24th really a launch date, or is it a delivery timeframe for the mostly unadvertised preorder?

Thank you for helping to clear the confusion,
Andrew"​

Update:

The intent of the thread wasn't to start a mockery of emailing essentially escalated Apple customer support, we all know this doesn't go directly to Tim. I simply wanted to start a discussion based on what the launch has been. If you'd like to add to that, then by all means go ahead.

Here is my response to you:

Apple has spent north of one billion dollars in researching and designing the Apple Watch. This was tremendously risky move because all prior smart watches have basically been failures, certainly not money makers and some have destroyed the companies which have tried to make them. Apple has made a large selection of options and sizes without knowing if the genre or any specific type would be successful or completely rejected by the market.

The demand for these watches has been quite good. But to have built the entire supply chain for this new form factor to a sufficient scale, all the while the watch continues to be under development, would have necessitated risking many more billions in capital. We decided to be reasonably prudent. That isn't to say that we haven't put billions into the watch. First there was the above mentioned billion in R&D over several years (and that billion does not take into account the attention of our most senior executives). But also we have pre-ordered billions of components and assembly work. These are new parts and we are also setting up quality review process and working with component manufactures to keep their quality up. It is a learning process for any new form factor.

I believe you are largely upset that the initial supply is limited. This is largely due to us ramping up production scale as we work with component manufactures and assembly lines. Yes at outrageous costs this timeline could have been slightly minimized. But we were already risking many billions more than the entire smart watch industry has ever spent in our launch of the Apple Watch as you see it. This is resulting in some customers having to wait an extra 3 or 4 weeks to get their watch. We believe this was prudent decision on our part considering the abject failure that all prior smart watches have experience in the marketplace.

We wish we could get you an Apple Watch faster. But setting up the supply line to support this launch would have taken billions and possibly degraded quality control at the same time. It is better that initial supply is somewhat constrained but that the supply chain is well reviewed and vetted.

Regards and enjoy your new watch when you get it. Of wait for generation two when production levels will be nearly double.

Tim Cook's Assisitant

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Tim's response: "Why didn't you just stay up till midnight?"

Dude. You don't quote the OP or any ridiculously long post, unless you plan to edit it down to only the part you are needing to quote, which in the case of your response was NONE OF IT.

Apple has spent north of one billion dollars in researching and designing the Apple Watch....(truncated)

Same to this guy!

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012

Apple has spent north of one billion dollars in researching and designing the Apple Watch.

Tim Cook's Assisitant

Haha, as funny as it sounds I actually appreciate this reply, it was somewhat insightful and maybe the only real worthwhile addition to this thread.

Anyway, I still ordered an Apple Watch, but June can't come any faster.

Last edited by a moderator:

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
If I ever sent an email that long to an executive, even a lower-level one, I would not expect a reply, nor for them to read it. If I was lucky, they didn't bother to check the sender before deleting it and assume I don't respect their time.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I think you wasted your time. Cook is not jobs you have no chance of a reply

Maybe not to this over-long whiny complaint, but I can personally attest he does sometimes reply, and warmly, at at 5 a.m. on a Saturday.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Seriously? Damn... Some people in this forum are most impatient people on earth. Just hold your horses and wait.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Tim Cook doesn't read this mailbox. It is being forwarded to his assistants, which do respond...

I can personally confirm this. Had issues with a MacBook a couple years ago and after several trips to the Apple Store, that's over an hour away, I sent him an email politely expressing my frustration. 24 hours later I got an email from one of his assistants, and she set me straight.

Not sure he himself read it, would be surprised if he did, but someone will.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I can personally confirm this. Had issues with a MacBook a couple years ago and after several trips to the Apple Store, that's over an hour away, I sent him an email politely expressing my frustration. 24 hours later I got an email from one of his assistants, and she set me straight.

Not sure he himself read it, would be surprised if he did, but someone will.

I had the exact same experience, two times in total!

danatdan

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
Surrey, UK
I honestly think Apple played it right with this launch. This isn't like an iPhone launch where you have 1 or 2 models in 3 colours with 3 memory sizes to choose from.

With 2 sizes, 3 models and a vast number of straps to choose from unless you were within the first 5 or 10 people into an Apple Store on launch day the chances of you getting exactly what you wanted would be slim leaving many people disappointed. By doing it all online at least you have a better chance of getting what you want somewhere near launch day.

The only thing I reckon Apple should have done differently was to let people see the actual watch via the appointments a week before the online pre-orders opened. At least then you wouldn't have people like me pre-ordering 2 and then cancelling 1 after they've seen the watch in person.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida

*snip*

TL;DR: Is the 24th really a launch date, or is it a delivery timeframe for the mostly unadvertised preorder?

Update:

First off, I'd like to say: TL;DR about sums it up. NOBODY would read an email this annoyingly long. This plods on like the Unabomber manifesto. Yuck!!!!!!! Stop. Come on... it's 2015. A small child could tell you that email is inappropriately long. Maybe not "telling a pregnant woman she looks fat" inappropriate, but probably like "farting in public" inappropriate.

Anybody that says Tim won't or doesn't read his email is simply WRONG. Many here have actually received quick blurts back from him in response to quick comments or questions.... Please notice the operative word "quick"!!!!!!!
Not only did Tim not read your email... an assistant did not read your email... nobody at Apple did. Heck, I bet 90% of readers here didn't subject themselves to the entirety of that.

Moving on...
I don't think I see your point. 1st of all the very first (HIGHLY PUBLICIZED!) time a launch date was announced, the preorder date was announced at that same instant. It was reported by all media in attendance. Calling it a "mostly unadvertised preorder" is the height of absurdity. Anyone aware of the launch date was also aware of the preorder date. Also, the main (read: only) difference I see between this & other launches is less supply. With certain iPhone launches, you were not guaranteed one by showing up in store on launch date. You would have to sign up on a list on each individual Apple stores website & sign up to receive the inventory of the next day... this went on for weeks. I see this as similar, but even slightly more constrained. Definitely not confusing though.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
In response to your original email, no, I don't agree with your points.
1. This is the first time that Apple has publicised the international launch times so clearly (in the past, it's only ever been US launch times, leaving us in the UK to guess when preorders will be open. At the iPhone 6 launch I was left checking the store at 12am, 5am and 8am - it finally went live at about 8:20am). On this occasion, the store app went live at 8:01, exactly when they said it would.
2. I ordered at 8:02 and got the watch I want, due to be delivered between 24th and 8th; so did many others here. There's no way of knowing how many watches have been preordered - I think the preorder windows show that Apple also are not sure how many they can make prior to 24th - but I'll wager the answer is 'a lot'. Judging from the attention here, demand has been high.
3. the ordering process was smooth and simple, for the first time ever
4. I think you're frustrated that your watch won't be delivered on launch day; but Apple told you what you need to do, and you didn't do it. Sucks, but since forever, Apple product shipping times have slipped within minutes of preorders opening; this was no different.
5. the answer to your question 'will the watch be available in store on 24th?' has been answered, I think - the answer being 'not without an appointment.

And finally, yes, your email read as over-long, patronising, and whingey. Historically, Jobs and Cook have a pattern of responding to emails that are short, to the point, and that ask questions that haven't already been answered elsewhere.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
While OP's email was a bit overlong, I do kind of agree with the point they bring up -- can a "launch day" really be called a launch when there is no stock in stores? When even the earliest preorders got an estimated delivery date of April 24 - May 8, I kind of felt cheated. Like they were trying to get away with saying "See, we did launch in April!" when most of their customers wouldn't be getting the watch until May. Yes, I understand all the problems inherent in launching a new product with so many models and unknown demand. But it seems more homest to admit that the "launch" date has to be delayed rather than shipping just a minimum number of models in April just so they can say they launched on time.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
While OP's email was a bit overlong, I do kind of agree with the point they bring up -- can a "launch day" really be called a launch when there is no stock in stores? When even the earliest preorders got an estimated delivery date of April 24 - May 8, I kind of felt cheated. Like they were trying to get away with saying "See, we did launch in April!" when most of their customers wouldn't be getting the watch until May. Yes, I understand all the problems inherent in launching a new product with so many models and unknown demand. But it seems more homest to admit that the "launch" date has to be delayed rather than shipping just a minimum number of models in April just so they can say they launched on time.

Yes me too.
It's totally idiotic to call this a launch day with no products to sell in stores.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
can a "launch day" really be called a launch when there is no stock in stores? When even the earliest preorders got an estimated delivery date of April 24 - May 8, I kind of felt cheated.

If even just a few people get their Watches on the 24th, then it's Launch Day. At some point Apple has a choice to make; launch with limited supplies or continue to wait while the fires die down. Honestly, I think it's too early to be complaining about the Launch Day deliveries when the 24th is still nearly two weeks away.

----------

Yes me too.
It's totally idiotic to call this a launch day with no products to sell in stores.

So are e-retailers incapable of ever having a product "launch day" because they have no shelves to stock? It's too early to be predicting doom and gloom for the 24th.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If even just a few people get their Watches on the 24th, then it's Launch Day. At some point Apple has a choice to make; launch with limited supplies or continue to wait while the fires die down. Honestly, I think it's too early to be complaining about the Launch Day deliveries when the 24th is still nearly two weeks away.

----------

So are e-retailers incapable of ever having a product "launch day" because they have no shelves to stock? It's too early to be predicting doom and gloom for the 24th.

Sure, they might still surprise us by delivering a decent number of watches by April 24. But the fact that they even felt the need to give themselves wriggle room with this kind of word game isn't a good sign.

As for e-retailers, sure, they can "launch" products online only, but that's because THEY HAVE NO STORES TO STOCK. Apple does have retail stores. If they don't have enough stock to place in stores, I think they should at least say something like "We regret that we have only enough stock to accept online orders at this time." Instead they give us some line about how online only orders will provide a better customer experience. *ROLL-EYES VERY HARD*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.