Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Sep 22, 2007
The reply notwithstanding, the premise of a wounded, loyal consumer base is still silly. Do you think that you enlightened apple on the issues surrounding the launch? Do you think they haven't thought this through? There are a lot of reasons to stop the embarrassing lines outside of stores and to introduce new products exactly the way this watch release is structured. Apple may be nervous about the change due to a spectrum of core believers being offended, but otherwise, it is better for customers to stop waiting in lines, and contently calling staff to see if inventory has arrived at retail stores. The logistics are extremely difficult and will continue to be so.

It is of no consequence that some of you purport to have receive email replies from Apple staff. Get over yourselves, if you are emailing hoping to hold your reply like a trophy. Online orders with store demos is a far better way to do business in terms of reducing frustration and abuse during product launches.

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Glad he read it, figured he would.

Do does this mean they will have some stock in stores for the launch? They should for sure IMO. Every employee is saying they will not have any, which is silly when there will be a lot of people going there to try and get it.

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
Although I stand by my general comment that shorter is better with executives, I do owe you an apology.

My response was unnecessarily harsh and punitive, and I apologize for that. You were sharing your experience, and I was throwing rocks at it. That really isn't who I am, or who I want to be.

It won't happen again.

Sean

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Although I stand by my general comment that shorter is better with executives, I do owe you an apology.

My response was unnecessarily harsh and punitive, and I apologize for that. You were sharing your experience, and I was throwing rocks at it. That really isn't who I am, or who I want to be.

It won't happen again.

Sean

That is very nice of you. I know I do the whole TL;DR myself. I get antsy if people don't start making points as directly and early on as possible.

applelover4u

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2012
Cook does read his email and his assistant. I had an issue with apple or what not sent him a few letters via email and his assistant called me back and give me a few new big priced products and an apology and issue fixed.

Toocoolracing

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2015
I read it all. It wasn't that long. I thought it was well written, you made your point well and painted a good picture. People are lazy....or are slow readers. Good job on getting some useful info.

Chaka Jon

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Palm Springs
Anyone know if there will at least be bands to purchase in-store on "launch" day? Would love to pick up a white sport and Milanese for my stainless (w/black sport band), which is still showing a 4/24-5/8 ship date.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Last edited by a moderator:

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Why? Didn't do anything to change the fact that there won't be any real inventory available in stores on the 24th. Waste of time, Apple knew the situation months ago...

The email asked for clarity regarding the launch. There were a lot of questions, and they've now been answered. I don't think I wasted my time.

I'm not implying that it's because of this email, but I'm saying what I've said all along:

Our feedback is what ultimately matters, and Apple obviously does care about it.

Last edited:

Suspended
Sep 22, 2007
The email asked for clarity regarding the launch. There were a lot of questions, and they've now been answered. I don't think I wasted my time.

I'm not implying that it's because of this email, but I'm saying what I've said all along:

Our feedback is what ultimately matters, and Apple obviously does care about it.

No, they don't Andrew. They understand that they have a following of naive geeks who think they do, however.

The design, manufacture, marketing and distribution of complex products is difficult, and that is what drives policy during launches. Beyond that, there are a host of deficiencies in software they still haven't fixed depite years of customer "feedback". There are reams of things that simply don't work well, or don't work at all in OSX and iOS that have been complained about for years. Apple has also discontinued apps that were used by professionals leaving businesses in the lurch because it was convenient for Apple at the expense of the customer.

Sorry to be a realist, but your email didn't tell them a thing they didn't already know. They are simply trying to manage a difficult product release and minimized the PR that goes with it.

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
No, they don't Andrew. They understand that they have a following of naive geeks who think they do, however.

The design, manufacture, marketing and distribution of complex products is difficult, and that is what drives policy during launches. Beyond that, there are a host of deficiencies in software they still haven't fixed depite years of customer "feedback". There are reams of things that simply don't work well, or don't work at all in OSX and iOS that have been complained about for years. Apple has also discontinued apps that were used by professionals leaving businesses in the lurch because it was convenient for Apple at the expense of the customer.

Sorry to be a realist, but your email didn't tell them a thing they didn't already know. They are simply trying to manage a difficult product release and minimized the PR that goes with it.

It's overly pessimistic to say that they simply don't care. They wouldn't have bothered to call if that were the case. Top customer satisfaction ratings don't occur with the attitude you're describing.

If I'm naive to you for thinking Tim and Co actually do care about more than just numbers, so be it, but I believe you'll find yourself unique in your position.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

Email Samsung's CEO and see what type of response u get. It would go something like this

"Are u sure u want to send this message to the recycle bin?"

Apple doesn't have a 99% customer satisfaction rating for nothing.

Suspended
Sep 22, 2007
I didn't say that Apple doesn't have decent CS, just that they do what is in their interest, and manipulate the fan base for their purposes. That's all they did here, use an email to get the message that they will be behind on inventory for the launch. The employee email is "leaked" and the tech bloggers dutifully regurgitate it.

Ask the former Aperture users about how much Apple cares about their customers. Pro photographers, loyal just like you, got hosed by an arbitrary decision to dump a pro app that caused more than a little "inconvenience" for their loyal "customers", thousands who emailed Uncle Timmy about the mess it created.

That's life, but Apple is just a massive, nasty competitor that pulls the wool over the eyes of a lot of loyal fans who won't open their eyes and see that they are just like everyone else. They are just better at manipulation.

And I say all of this as a Mac User since 1985, and have accumulated a "significant" position in AAPL starting in the mid nineties. I am just objective given all of those years of watching them operate.

Enjoy your day in the sun.

applelover4u

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2012
Apple wants you guys to crowd the store and long lines to make their value go skyrocket and keep up the must have look

Some sheeps get it, some sheeps dont :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.