emails lost

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GioDiKola, Oct 13, 2006.

1. GioDiKola macrumors newbie

Hi,
    sorry, that might look as a silly problem, but it's huge to me.
    I quitted my .Mac account and cancelled it from the preferences in Mail.
    Well, all my previous email are disappeared, and gosh, I don't know where they could be and how to retrieve 'em.
    Thanks so much to everybody in the forum willing to help me.

Giovanni

2. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

3. GioDiKola thread starter macrumors newbie

they r not

Sorry
    I'm an italian photographer, working since 6 months close to polar circle, and my brain also is freezing...
    I mean that my previous emails don't show anymore when I open Mail

4. GioDiKola thread starter macrumors newbie

on my .Mac account, which I can still access, I find just a little part of all my previous emails...what happened ?
    thanks a lot for giving me an hand

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Were the e-mails in your inbox or in a saved mail folder?

This is what you should do if you are still able to access your .Mac account:

1) Re-add it to Mail
    2) Select the Mailbox -> New Mailbox menu option
    3) Create a mailbox with any name you want, located "On My Mac."
    4) Drag all of the mail from the inbox, and if you wish, sent, etc, folders at the top left of the Mail window, into the mailbox you created in (3).
    5) Now delete your .Mac account from Mail and your mail should still be in this new folder.

If you cannot access your .Mac account, gee, I don't know. Call Apple? The reason you can't see your mail is most likely because it's all on the server. When you use IMAP, the mails are kept on the server. When you close the account in Mail, the server connection goes away and so does the inbox.

6. GioDiKola thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try that thanks
    I'll post again in an hour if I'll be still in trouble
    thanks again

7. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I think I understand. Is this correct: You finished your .mac account and deleted the account from the 'Accounts' tab in Preferences? And now your mail has disappeared from the folders on the left hand side of Mail?

If so, what is on the left hand side of Mail? Did you have folders there? Have they disappeared?

Your messages should be here: Hard Disk/Users/(your username)/Library/Mail/Mailboxes. First you can check they still exist on your machine.