Emails not being received

Discussion in 'Site News' started by arn, Feb 25, 2004.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

MacRumors' Forum IP has been (inappropriately) blacklisted by SpamHaus.org

Of course, MacRumors isn't involved in any spamming activities, but the offending (Spammer) IPs were in the same "block" and so the entire block has been blacklisted.

I've contacted my provider who state that the offending accounts have been terminated and that they are working with SpamHaus to try to remove the blacklist... but in the meanwhile, the forums' emails will bounce from many places due to the overreaching blacklisting.

This means people will not be getting activation emails for new accounts or new reply notices.

I'm not sure how long this will take to resolve.

arn

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Ouch, that's gotta bring pain to "the land down under..."

[​IMG]

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Damn, that's not right. So was this just a last 3 digits of the ip or more?

D

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

sounds like it.

Ouch, that is bad...

Hopefully they will remove the ban soon.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A domain I manage was blacklisted temporarily because of spammers in the same IP block. Getting to the right person to straighten it out was a challenge since my e-mail to their site was blocked! So I contacted the person in charge via a web form and got the domain whitelisted (a special entry overriding the more generic blacklist). But it sometimes takes 24 hours for such things to take effect.

6. awulf macrumors 6502

I'm still receiving e-mail notifications from Mac Rumors.

7. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Bah, I have this happen to my clients all of the time. :( It isn't any fun. Good luck on getting it resolved Arn!

8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Is there any way we can spin this to blame Bill Gates, Microsoft, or the Windows platform?

9. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Of course, because of following reasons:
    1) Only evil Windows users send spam.
    2) Evil Outlook on Windows allows viruses to distribute themselves.
    3) If everyone would use Mac we would live in a perfect world with no spam. Again, blame evil Windows users, Microsoft and Bill Gates himself.

10. zync macrumors 68000

zync

If everyone used a mac we'd have the same problems....it's because the windows markestshare is so huge and they have people like Gates and Balmer making decisions that cause these problems to "arise"....

Anyway I had wondered why I've not received emails since like Christmas....I'm not sure exactly how it's affecting me though as my email is set up to me (ugh) AOL account....maybe I'll use my own accounts elsewhere....like my .com site...yeah that'll do...I'll give it a try....would be nice to be able to click on the damn links anyway...stupid AOL....god, why does it have to suck so much and why do I have to live in an area sans broadband!?

11. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

12. mms macrumors 6502a

13. zync macrumors 68000

zync

I'm getting them now that I changed them to my site's email....

14. 0$X macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, this is a nightmare practically all web host providers have to deal with -- over zealous blacklist admins. The reason many (probably most) members are still getting email from the forum is that not all ISPs utilize blacklists. Having an IP blacklisted doesn't automatically block all email from that IP -- only email sent through an ISP that subscribes to that particular blacklist.

15. zync macrumors 68000

zync

Yep, and obviously AOL does that, which really annoys me because, sure it'll block a little bit of spam, but I'd rather not have things blacklisted from me because AOL decided to! That pisses me off....they don't even 1. let you know they do it and 2. allow you to change it!

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Getting blacklists and whitelists right is a matter of successive approximations in a constantly changing environment. I don't blame ISPs and spam-filtering services for getting it wrong sometimes, but I do wish they would make it easier to make corrections quickly, in a matter of minutes instead of days.

Is there some point at which MacRumors will know that the blocking is stopped?

17. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Looks like it's lifted.

But on a seperate note, it seems AOL has been blocking Macrumors emails for a while now.

arn

18. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

They are pretty tough to clear up. I usually ended up changing IP's on my sites to clear the problem.

19. zync macrumors 68000

zync

UHUH! You said a mouthful there, mine had been blocked since like December! I had been participating in a highly active thread and when I hadn't gotten an email in a few days I dropped into my CP and saw that like 2-3 pages of posts had gone past me :)