Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
One thing I've never figured out on the Mac is that the Home and End keys don't work in fields. i.e. e.g. I can't tap End, then shift-Home in a field to select the entire text.

How does Home and End work on a Mac?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Sesshi said:
One thing I've never figured out on the Mac is that the Home and End keys don't work in fields. i.e. e.g. I can't tap End, then shift-Home in a field to select the entire text.

How does Home and End work on a Mac?

Home = top of page
End = end of page

Command-End = end of line
Command-Home = start of line.

So to highlight a line, just throw the command key into the description you used.

So it would be "tap command-end, then shift-command-home" to select the text.

EDIT: Wait, it could be different. Try command-left arrow instead of Home and command-right arrow instead of End.

My Home and End keys are on the left and right arrows on my iBook.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
On my Apple Wireless KB, in Firefox text boxes, the home/end keys do nothing...even with modifiers. In Safari they do something related to page-to-page navigation. I don't have my iBook open right now, but it seems to me that Fn-arrow (Home/end) do something on it.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Another thing that often confuses Windows users is that Home and End take you to that part of the document but do not move the insertion point there. Click to move the insertion point or press a key (like an arrow key) to jump back to where you were.

Full list of text shortcuts can be found here and many other places (including Help).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
mkrishnan said:
On my Apple Wireless KB, in Firefox text boxes, the home/end keys do nothing...even with modifiers. In Safari they do something related to page-to-page navigation. I don't have my iBook open right now, but it seems to me that Fn-arrow (Home/end) do something on it.
I second that.

ddekker

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2006
Michigan
thats one I hadent noticed yet, now the delete key really being a backspace key I still don't get... but then again thats why I started a website all about the mac things I dont get...lol

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.