embed OSX ?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by spinko, Mar 7, 2004.

1. spinko macrumors regular

Would it be possible to embed OSX into some kind of multimedia (i.e. mobile phone) device like those running Symbian ? To me, Apple technology would perfectly fit into a mobile telephone device with contact information, calendars and maybe some image/video/music functions. Plus, it would be a nice change to the current offering, which, if you look at it closely, is trying to define itself by putting very crummy cameras and other half baked functions into phones.

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

that would be good i guess... but wouldn't that mean a really cut down version of OS X?

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

this has been a big hope for many of us... a slimmed-down OS X, for use in everything from PDAs to cars to ATMs. Apple's transition to X finally provided them the stability and security to do this, so the time is ripe. Whether or not Apple thinks it's a good idea, however... It's already got competition from CE, of course. But I'd definitely love to see it.

paul

4. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

There is embeded BSD in some network appliances. Maybe this means they can embed MacOS if they strip off some of the fat.

5. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Once phones get a bit more processing capabilities, this can become feasible. I believe that the next generation of phone cpu/gpu offerings will allow higher res graphics (some phones can take 2 megapixel images but can only show them in 320x240 in like 8 bit color...pretty crummy for something that expensive) and thus more attractive OSes. Also phones need to have a RAM boost. They arent even close to the amount the pocket PC's used originally and pocketPCs run a very very very stripped version of Windows - similar to what a mobile OSx would be like in that type of environment.

6. spinko thread starter macrumors regular

ATI has a chip for "Handsets" (see link below). If M$ can put Windows into a PDA than surely OSX which is apparently a more modern system could be stripped down to fit into a Handset. And with the new generation of more capable devices, maybe the time is right... despite the fact that M$ is clever at forcing it's video technology into these devices which ultimately becomes the de facto standard not because it's better but because it's everywhere..

http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2004/4734.html

7. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    competition?!?!

Competition??!?! YA RIGHT! LOL

8. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    they've gotta beat m$

apple's gotta beat m$ to a *compatible* thin client os! none of the ce dirivitives are comp!