Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Is there any application to let me embed an external subtitles file(srt) inside a video file? I want to make a single video file that will include subtitles.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Is there any application to let me embed an external subtitles file(srt) inside a video file? I want to make a single video file that will include subtitles.
Subler is an option if you are on a Mac.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Subler is an option if you are on a Mac.

Unfortunately it does not work. I tried 2 movies, it failed to open srt files.
Then I read the faq, it points that it is possible to fail to open subtitles, and then go to download jubler, to convert them to unicode-8 etc...
What a sad story, just to emded an srt txt file within a movie.

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
Try these and find one that works for you:

1. iSubtitle.
2. Subitle Studio.
3. iVI.

Personally I prefer Subtitle Studio, they're all not free but they're also reasonably priced.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Unfortunately it does not work. I tried 2 movies, it failed to open srt files.
Then I read the faq, it points that it is possible to fail to open subtitles, and then go to download jubler, to convert them to unicode-8 etc...
What a sad story, just to emded an srt txt file within a movie.
Have you looked at mp4tools? Excellent piece of software and well supported, but not free.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Try these and find one that works for you:

1. iSubtitle.
2. Subitle Studio.
3. iVI.

Personally I prefer Subtitle Studio, they're all not free but they're also reasonably priced.
Have you looked at mp4tools? Excellent piece of software and well supported, but not free.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Can you tell me, if some/all of these programs, need to re-encode video, or just put subtitles inside the video with other alternative/faster way?

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
Thanks for the suggestions.
Can you tell me, if some/all of these programs, need to re-encode video, or just put subtitles inside the video with other alternative/faster way?
If the video is .mp4 or .m4v, H.264 it will only remix it. In another words, it will not re-encode the video unless it's not compatible with QuickTime.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I have mp4tools. I search and tried several options with presets, burn/soft options for subs etc,
but in any case I did not get a movie with subs withing, as a result.
How can I do it, if I use mp4tools?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.