embedded attachments

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skd, Mar 28, 2007.

1. skd macrumors 6502

I'm having trouble sending jpeg attachments to window users. They say the attachment is embedded and they can't download the attachment. Another mac user told me to, when in mail, go to format and click 'make plain text'. Can someone explain to me what's going on and what is the difference between 'plain text' and 'rich text'?
    thanks

2. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

if you use the 'attach' button you will get a checkbox at the bottom of the dialogue box to "use window friendly attachments".

3. skd thread starter macrumors 6502

window friendly

in the past i have check the box for window friendly attachments, but the jpegs were still embedded in the text. Does someone knows the difference between 'plain text' and 'rich text' and which one does the mac default to?

4. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

.rtf can take more formatting than a plain .txt file

It would appear that you are embedding a jpeg in a rich text document and sending the the rtf, is this correct? If this is the case why not just send the jpg without embedding it into a rtf file.

5. skd thread starter macrumors 6502

"If this is the case why not just send the jpg without embedding it into a rtf file."
    how do i do that? i don't understand what your saying re "without embedding it into a rtf file"
    thnx

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You need to describe your problem more fully. What does the recipient see, exactly?

I don't think your problem is plain text vs. rich text. Either should work.

Does your jpeg have a file extension?

FWIW, sending "Windows friendly attachments" can be made the default behavior under the Edit/Attachments menu in Mail.

7. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Well I'm not sure you are embedding the jpg into an rtf file I'm just trying to make some sense of what you are saying.

To send a jpg you can just drag the file into the email composing window.

8. skd thread starter macrumors 6502

well dogbone, and to me it funny because as a hobby I'm a dog breeder, this is what I hear. I'm an architect, and when responding to clients, I send them jpegs or PDF's of drawings or 3D model. My clients want to download the files in order to print them out and they are not able to do that. The attachments are embedded into the text. I did notice that my default was to rich text - I've changed that to plain text - and will be sending some file later tonight - and see if that helps. Now, when I take the files to bootcamp, and send thru windows - no problem.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Plain text vs. Rich text will not make any difference. You can attach files to either type of e-mail.

I'd like to help you solve this problem, but that's tough if you can't describe more precisely what recipients of your e-mails are seeing. Are they getting blocks of indecipherable text? Are they seeing an image at all? This is important information.

10. cj mitchell macrumors newbie

attached jpegs received as embedded

i was having the same issue with attached jpegs being received by my pc friends as embedded images. clicking "window's friendly" did not help. having it show as an icon did not work. i finally thought to save the file as an archive (zip it) before attaching - THAT worked.

11. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I have experienced the same problem so let me take a crack at describing it.

Lets say I want to send a jpeg to my Mum, of my kids. I create an email using mail.app, and drag the picture into the email (or I use the add attachment feature). what I see is that the jpeg is now fully visible in the body of the email, whereas what I wanted to see was just an icon representing that picture (as it does in Windoze).

When my Mum receives the email and opens it, she sees the image in the body of the email, rather than an icon representing the image. So my Mum, not being very computer literate doesn't know how to deal with this. If she had an icon, she would click and save it, then open it. But the important thing is that she'd have saved it somewhere. If it's embedded in the email, and she wants to show someone or print it, she has to open the email or print the email.

So I would like the ability (or to know how to if the ability already exists) to add the jpeg as an icon and not have it embedded in the body of the email.

Cheers.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The way the file displays in Apple Mail (in-place or icon) should not have an effect on the way it is displayed to the recipient. BTW, you can change this for any given attachment by control-clicking on the in-place image and selecting "view as icon" from the pop-up menu. But again, this should not make any difference to the recipient -- their mail client will decide how this attachment will be displayed. Apple Mail should include a preference to set how attachments are displayed -- personally, I'd set my default as icon view -- but sadly it doesn't.

I have heard, but I don't know if it's true, that Mail will sometimes corrupt attachments that aren't inserted at the very end of the e-mail. If anyone can confirm this, I'd be very interested to know.

13. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

as long as the image is being shown in the email, the windows recipient should be able to 'right-click' the image (embedded or not) and 'view image' or 'save image' or ?

sounds like windows PEBCAC to me.

14. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

I see this problem a lot when sending images to people using Yahoo webmail. When viewed online the picture is embedded into the text of the message - the yahoo mail doesn't even indicate that the file has an attachment, so they can't save anything. Then, if you even try to right click on the image you can just save it as a bitmap.

I am not sure what the issue is. If I send a picture with some other files, i.e. word documents, then it will show as separate attachments, but on it's own, the pictures are embedded. Checking or unchecking windows friendly makes no difference. This is OS X Leopard's Mail.

15. ehargett macrumors newbie

embedded attachments

I'll be very interested in seeing how to fix this problem, as well. Having JPEG, and photos in general embed into the body of the email is a real PITA, IMO. My scanned files even scanned to PDF do the exact same thing. I know, I know, the recipient can right-click the image and save the image, file, whatever, but I'm dealing with grandparents, and other not-so-computer-literate people who would like the "ease" of just have an attachment as an "attachment" rather than embedded in the email body..

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Can you confirm? Try it both ways and see what happens.

17. soms macrumors 6502

soms

This is pretty puzzling to me, because I have always dragged the image into the form of the email and I've never had trouble with windows users. On my mothers laptop when she gets a message with a picture in it from me, it shows both the image in the form, as well as the little icon in the upper corner of the email.

18. ehargett macrumors newbie

:)... The issue I have is with the picture "blowing up" to fill the email screen when it is sent. When I drag the pic into the email, it looks fine... however, the sender gets this INCREDIBLY ENLARGED version of the picture. :eek: So they can't view it in the email but "have" to save it somewhere to view it properly. My MIL had no idea what to do with the pictures until I came over and saved them to her desktop, then re-opened for her.
    And with the scanned PDFs I had to send, I did not want them in the body of the email, I wanted them as attachments. As part if the email body, they just cluttered it up.
    It all worked out, but it was frustrating, and thought there should be a way to set preferences on this, yk?

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The images don't "blow up." The sender doesn't have any control over how the recipient's e-mail client displays attachments, so they need to figure out what's happening on their end. And there's no actual difference between sending files as "attachments" or "in the body of the e-mail." I wish Apple Mail had a preference setting for viewing attachments in-line or as an icon, but this doesn't have any bearing on how the recipient sees them anyway.

20. buckeye81 macrumors newbie

can't save attachments

I read this whole thread. Kind of humorous that what seems so plain to me is not clear to others. I can confirm that the original description of this problem is indeed a problem. I am a 20+ year PC user, recently converted to iMac and the compatibility issues abound. In this case, I too am frustrated that I click on ATTACH when I'm in the mail program on my iMac (Leopard) and sometimes the attachment is shown as an icon, sometimes as an imbedded picture. Both situations are frustrating ... I just want them attached as files like on the PC, not stuck in the middle of what I'm writing. Well, recently when I sent some large pictures to my work computer (PC) they come in to Outlook as imbedded pictures. I click on SAVE ATTACHMENTS and nothing happens. No prompt for a file location. NOTHING. I'm just about ready to put them on a thumb drive and hand carry them to work. But this won't work to send to my sister in CA...(I suppose I could mail her the thumb drive...we are in the 21st century aren't we?).

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

As I said above, you might want to find out why Outlook is treating these images as "embedded pictures" instead of as attachments, since Apple Mail is treating them as attachments whether they are viewed in-line or as icons when sent. I also suggested that you make certain that the attachments are located at the very end of the e-mail, and see if that helps.

22. cj mitchell macrumors newbie

embedded email attachments

it's an extra step - but zipping those files before attaching them should save you from driving that thumb drive over. it's something about that ".jpg" extention (at least for me) that kept causing attached jpegs to be received as embedded files. didn't happen with other attached files (i.e. tif, eps, pdf, etc.)

23. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Same thing happens to me when I send PDF files. Most savvy users have no problem with them, but I too would like to see them displayed as icons.

24. cj mitchell macrumors newbie

if you right click or option click the image, you should be able to select "view as icon"