Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shlomit

macrumors newbie
01/02/2009 - and still no solution for embeded images in outlook recipients?

Hi all,
I have decided to make a deep search for the "Mac recipients gets the picture embed in the body email" and to my surprise there is no reasonable solution.
I can't believe that in 2009 there are still Mac-Windows issues which I find frustrating.
I don't want to zip my files before sending them and I do want to send RTF emails and I don't see why my windows users are getting my jpgs embed in the body of the email.
I don't want to have a workaround.
I want to keep on sending jpgs, to make them smaller if i want and that pc users would be able to save the attachments.
through what i read here, there is only workaround which tells me once again that mac-pc is still an issue on really basic stuff.
what do you think?
I found it a bit annoying.
have a nice day :),
shlomit

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Perhaps there's no Mac solution because it's not a Mac problem. This has got to be something to do with the settings in Outlook, since it's not really possible to send attachments "in the body of the e-mail." They are just attachments, no matter what you do.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Perception is reality. It's like the proud parent that brags about their son being the only kid in the marching band who turned the right direction, even though the rest of the band turned in the wrong direction with perfect precision and uniformity. Little Johnny may have been "right", but he was ineffective, and looked WRONG to the rest of the world.

I agree with Shlomit. As a Mac user in a Windows world, I want to make it as easy for them to work with me, as it is for them to work with other Windows users... Regardless of whose "problem" it is.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
FWIW, I have never encountered this problem, though I have had Windows users send me e-mails with mime attachments. You know, sometimes it is operator error, and not something someone else can fix.

Wikinerd

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
in the past i have check the box for window friendly attachments, but the jpegs were still embedded in the text. Does someone knows the difference between 'plain text' and 'rich text' and which one does the mac default to?

Just to answer this specific question. Plain text does not have any formatting; it's just plain old ASCII (if I'm correct)..

Rich text is basic formatted text; colors, fonts, etc.

If you're using Textedit or Mail it tends to default to rich text

cj mitchell

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
embedded attachments

i too am still having to zip jpegs before sending them to half of my PC recipients. this wasn't an issue at all prior to the mac quad pro i'm now using (10.4.11). been a mac user since before this emailing thing came about and this was never an issue before. clicking "windows friendly" doesn't help. any real solutions out there? or does the last OS solve this?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Near the start of this thread, I suggested that those who are having this problem try making certain that the attachment is added to the very end of the e-mail (no text after). Apparently nobody was willing to try this.

Wikinerd

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Hi all,
I have decided to make a deep search for the "Mac recipients gets the picture embed in the body email" and to my surprise there is no reasonable solution.
I can't believe that in 2009 there are still Mac-Windows issues which I find frustrating.
I don't want to zip my files before sending them and I do want to send RTF emails and I don't see why my windows users are getting my jpgs embed in the body of the email.
I don't want to have a workaround.
I want to keep on sending jpgs, to make them smaller if i want and that pc users would be able to save the attachments.
through what i read here, there is only workaround which tells me once again that mac-pc is still an issue on really basic stuff.
what do you think?
I found it a bit annoying.
have a nice day :),
shlomit

Sounds like it's more of an Outlook thing...
(Microsoft is infamous of not being compatible with industry standards)

cj mitchell

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
embedded jpegs in email

was more than willing to place the jpeg at the end of the text in the email. same results. was received embedded.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
was more than willing to place the jpeg at the end of the text in the email. same results. was received embedded.

Well at least we know somebody tried. I am still uncertain what is meant by "embedded." If an e-mail with a jpeg attachment is received in Apple Mail (for example), it may look like it's "embedded" because by default it displays in-line with the text of the e-mail. But it's still an attachment. If someone is reporting that they've received an e-mail from you with the jpeg "embedded" in the e-mail, it might be because they don't know that it's really an attachment. I don't know how Outlook parses attachments, but it might be worth finding out if it's got settings that affect how they are displayed.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
From what I have read (and experienced) it seems it is not a Mac/Mail problem as people are stating that 'some' recipients can't use the files while others can which says to me it is the recipients problem.

cj mitchell

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
embedded attachments

i would have blamed (and probably did) the recipients but realized that this was not an issue before i upgraded computers. they can view the jpeg images in their email messages but cannot open or save them. this happens with about 30% of my PC recipients but had not been an issue before. however, when they send the message back to me i get it as an attachment. so i'm not sure where the problem lies.: confused:

ehargett

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2008
what I did

I know it's a "work around", but recipients should be able to right click on the attachment and choose "save as". They might not be able to view it properly in the email, but they can see it from their desktop (or wherever they saved it.)

this is what I've done, and so far it's worked.

All the best,
Elizabeth:)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
To me it's pretty clear the problem is with Outlook, particularly if they can forward the mail back to you, and you see the jpeg as an attachment. Also, from Mac Help:

If a recipient is using Mail or another email application that retains the order of the contents of your message, the recipient sees the attachment in the same location where you inserted it. You can select Edit > Attachments > “Always Insert Attachments at End of Message” to automatically have attachments inserted at the end, which may help Windows recipients.

diburrup

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
Midwest
The only workaround I've found is to put the attachments inside a folder and send the folder, even if it is just one file. Then they come in as real attachments. Just thought I would share...

mahuska

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
A solution and some curious behavior

We have been having a problem with this for years. So today we found a work around that lets you keep HTML formatting the Mac user able to add images to the email in any way they are comfortable and still have windows computers see the images as attachments. Use a signature and put in the signature a bit map. It can be very small and the color of the page. we found that only a few type of file are automatically "embedded", specifically JPG's so if you add any other files in with the jpgs to an email, all additions show up the the windows user as attachments.

• The curious behavior is that
  • there is not an issue with thunder bird
  • this reacts differently depending on the email server you use IE; Mail Trust, Yahoo SMTP, Gmail SMTP
  • this might act differently on the email account type such as POP or IMAP, although to be fair we didn't go back and double check those differences be cause we ahad found our solution and are tired of messing with it

outmyhead

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009
for a while now i've had the problem of sending image attachments to work colleagues and the images being embedded. I have the only mac in the office, the rest are on PCs (which is also not doing wonders for the Mac's rep!). Most of the time when i send an image to anyone else it is embedded into the body of the email, meaning that when they receive it in outlook they cannot save it, only copy, which is not what we want. Anyway, to cut a long story short, what i found was that in all of the emails that didn't send the images as attachments my signature was also present. Mail.app was converting the entire message to a html email any time that my signature was present, so the images were then treated as part of the html email (even if you convert it to an icon) so when it got to the outlook end it was displayed as such. Without my html signature it sent as a regular email with attachments as expected (PS i have 'always send windows friendly attachments' selected).

So, if you do have a signature in your email, convert to plain text (shift, command,T). If it is just text (and you have 'always send windows friendly attachments' selected) then it should send through fine!

Yay!

tylerb

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2009
midwest
I experienced problems on the recipient end from both Outlook and Yahoo mail accounts. I use Mail as my delivery system.

I tried several of the above offered solutions and there were only two that worked for me... putting the jpgs into a folder before sending and changing the signature to plain text.

Converting my signature to plain text was by far the easiest solution for the recipient. The file came through as if sent from another PC.

Thank you to everyone that contributed to this. outmyhead, you rock.

impactdave

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
It appears to me that this is an issue with certain PC email programs. I've had clients return my emails asking me to attach rather than embed my attachment, yet I can see the attachment on her returned email! This confirms the file IS attached, it just isn't being seen as such by their email program.

Maybe we should start gathering data on what email programs are being used by people who are having problems with our attachments??

diburrup

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
Midwest
Not sure what we can do about a PC email program... but I believe the 2 main people I've communicated with on this problem to use Outlook. I have had many people tell me they cannot open my attachments tho. This started happening with MacMail that came with Leopard, so I have reason to believe our email program is handling attachments differently than before - these 2 people I email with all the time could open them fine before Leopard. Thanks to everyone that has responded on this ...

ddb7116

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
Embedded JPEG images

Been using an imac for a year and this issue is the most annoying of the many I have encountered. (don't worry there are plenty in Windows as well). I am a bit surprised how so many Mac lovers duck for cover on this issue and say it isn't Apples fault. It is a real issue and needs fixing. Yes when you receive the "embedded" photo in Outlook you can right click and save it but only as a bitmap file which is useless. Some of the solutions suggested work sometimes but why should we need a work around.
The only certain solution is to consign Apple Mail to the trash bin and use Thunderbird as the email client. On the imac, Thunderbird behaves just like it does on a PC and attaches the file rather than embed it. Problem solvered. No more exasperated replies from Windows friends. Looks like to me it is a quirk of Apple Mail and they should fix it.

Next one I want to work on is to get the imac to simply export a jpeg file exactly as it is on disk - same name,date and size - instead of giving me a long menu of options to resize and rename but no option just to leave the thing as it is. Hopefully this is due to my ignorance and not another unsolvable Apple quirk.
Thanks to everyone for their input on this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.