Embedded version of OS X.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FrankBlack, Jan 9, 2007.

1. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2005
    Looking for Lucy Butler
    Okay, so the iPhone has an embedded version of OS X, just as everyone thought it would. This is good to see, after seeing embedded versions of windows in so many things for years.

So, what other applications for an embedded version of OS X are there? Industrial, consumer, etc.
  2. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    im interested to know this too, exactly what kind of OSX is in there? whats in there, whats not?
  3. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Is this OS X version for the Apple phone upgradeable? Does it even have the same version as the Macs? I'd love to see the "about this phone screen" and have it show Tiger :p
  4. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Jan 29, 2006
    Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. This in addition to the resolution of the iPhone's LCD :)
  5. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    I thought I read somewhere that it was 480x320. I may be wrong though.
  6. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
  7. tombarnes macrumors 6502

Feb 26, 2006
    Cornwall, United Kingdom
    I've a feeling it will take a lot of 10.5 Leopard's technology. Beside the FCC classification, this, in my view, is another reason for the June release date.

So, we may not have even seen the small parts of the new OS X which will feature in the iPhone.

Tom :)
  8. Stacc macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2005
    The version of os x in the iphone is almost certainly a lite version of os x. It can't be the version that is run on desktops since there is almost certainly not a x86(intel) or G4/G5 in the iphone. This lite version of os x will not anywhere near as featured as the real os x. The requirements are too steep for a mobile phone and it would be over kill anyways.

The real question is whether apple will open the iphone for 3rd party apps. But sadly, I don't see this happening either. They will want tight control of all the apps on this thing just like the ipod has been done.
  9. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    The iPhone is a new platform like the Macintosh and iPod, both of which have third-party support. FWIW, the iPhone already has third-party support. That weather widget comes from AccuWeather.com. Google Maps are provided by Google. Yahoo.com is developing a brand new mail service for the iPhone. There is no reason to believe that other third-parties will won't support the platform--none.