Embedding images in Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kenyabob, Aug 30, 2004.

1. kenyabob macrumors regular

I want to use an image of mine for a signature in an email. However, whenever I drag and drop it, the signature image looks fine to me but shows up as an attachment to everyone else. Long story short, it won't embed. How do I get it so that the image shows up in the message?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Be sure your attachments are set up to be Windows-friendly. That might help substantially....

Attached Files:

3. kenyabob thread starter macrumors regular

er, nope that doesnt seem to quite do the trick...

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

As I understand it...

Images are always attachments, if you look at the underlying e-mail file as it travels from person to person. It is e-mail clients (the programs you and your recipient use) that choose whether to show the image on the screen inline or whether to show the filename and let you click to open or save it. Mail.app allows you to drag in an image and show it inline when you are sending a message, and to view images inline in received e-mail. If the person you are sending to has an e-mail client that doesn't display images inline, or that is set not to do so, they won't see the images inline no matter what you do on the sending side.

Does that explanation fit your experience?

6. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

you'll probably want to format your mail as html mail, instead of a normal text-only mail format so your images will load inline for anyone using an html-capable mail client. The downside is that if you're using Mail.app, you can't creat html mail - only read it. Try formatting your outgoing mail in a different client as html mail and see if you get the results you're after.

7. kenyabob thread starter macrumors regular

any suggestions for a mail app that will allow me to create html letters?

8. kenyabob thread starter macrumors regular

I downloaded Thunderbird and I love it, it will allow me to write in HTML. So this is my big plug for a cool app

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That's it. I'm getting Thunderbird. Too many recommendations for me to not try it out. Thanks for the endorsement!