embeded windows media player files...?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by johnrbell, Dec 28, 2006.

1. johnrbell macrumors newbie

ok, so if i goto a site with an embeded windows media player file, it woudnt play. so i downloaded wmp and flip4mac.

flip4mac says it cant play them, so then i have to load them externally.
    very lame.

any ideas?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What browser are you using, what sort of Mac do you have, and what site are you having troubles with? :)

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

not that this will necessarily fix your problem, but Perian is recommended by many to help fill in the gaps.

4. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

I bet I know what kind of site he is tryin to get on :D

5. johnrbell thread starter macrumors newbie

its a blackbook, with safari, its any site with an embeded windows media player file.

i removed WMP and flip4mac, and installed perian. now it just gives me a popup saying to goto microsofts page to get the player. :(

6. aj98 macrumors member

Many sites are moving to WMP v10 streams with DRM. I've found nothing that can play them.

Other times, Firefox or Safari will give me grief trying to play a given file, but Opera will work just fine.

7. johnrbell thread starter macrumors newbie

are you suggesting i switch to opera to fix the problem?

8. aj98 macrumors member

No.

Firefox 1.5x is my primary browser, but occasionally, I have similar issues as you described.

In those cases, I use another browser. For streaming media, if neither FF or Safari work, Opera almost always does.

If it won't play the file within it's own window, Opera 9 still uses the 'old' way of caching internet content - individual files - so sometime I can load a page, then grab the file in question from the Opera cache folder, and play/open it at the finder level instead of through an internet plugin.

Almost always does, because if the problem is the site is streaming a WMV 10/DRM file,
    Opera can't 'fix' that - there's nothing (that I am aware of) that will play those on a Mac.

9. johnrbell thread starter macrumors newbie

boo.

ok, few more questions.

i tried opera, didnt work... no big deal.
    to uninstall opera... do i just delete it out of the applications folder?
    same for any other applications?

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that should be fine. Maybe use Spotlight to find any more traces of it too. So do you have Flip4Mac back on your system now?