Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by scem0, Aug 29, 2006.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    Is this stuff healthy? Am I overdosing my body on Vitamin C by using these? Seems like too much of anything is a bad idea. They just seem very highly unnatural, and unnatural things tend to have unnatural side effects, which I'd like to avoid. I don't see anything that points to them being too bad by googling, but I don't see much discussion about the product itself anywhere.

For those who are unfamiliar with Emer'gen-C, they are vitamin packets which dissolve/fizz into water, creating a very decently tasting, 'healthy', vitamin-filled beverage:

Note: Vitamin levels vary according to flavor.

Am I the only one who is a little scared of these?

2. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    No - I take a couple a day, and I take 1,000mg of C in the morning and at night.

So that's about 4,000 mg a day. Not only helps with immune issues, but healing, tisue growth, etc.

C is water coluble, as is B.

A, E, D and others you need to watch out for.

Let the flaming on how vitamins are a waste begin. ;)
  3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Aug 17, 2004
    Communard de Londres
    If you take 20grams it might give you slight diahorrea but aside from that it won't cause any damage.Your body will just flush any unused Vit C out.The flavourings might not be too healthy for you mind.
  4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    You're peeing most of that away. Even the Russian space program advocates about a 20% to 30% increase of the recommended daily requirement of Vitamin C — about 60mg or so...

You'd be far better off eating nutritiously, getting fibre into your system. Fresh oranges, kiwifruit, blackcurrants, strawberries, tomatos... all rich in Vitamin C.
  5. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Yep, you're better off just eating fruit and healthy food. You body can't store excess Vit C - although too much will turn you a healthy shade of orange - and you just piss it out.

Just eat more fruit - tastes better too.
  6. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    yeah, that's my line of thinking. I try to eat healthy and have one of these a day, currently.

7. floriflee macrumors 68030

Dec 21, 2004
    Not to mention that you're more likely to better absorb vitamins that come naturally in foods than a lot of the vitamin supplements.
  8. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    Doesn't hurt. I have a Berocca a day, which is much the same thing.

The minerals help as much as the vitamins, especially the zinc which your body doesn't store naturally. However, you can get it all from a balanced diet so if you eat a lot of fruit and veg every day save your cash.
  9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    Actually that sounds like a good plan. If I could actually tolerate these things I'd take them too.