Emergency Declared After Anti-Nazi Riots

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Oct 15, 2005.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

2. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm a little ignorant on such things -- is a 1:4 police/civilian ratio usually sufficient?

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

One would think. But it's Toledo, Ohio. Not the brightest bulbs on the tree. Trust me, I lived in Bowling Green for years and visited Toledo often. Not a great place.

5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Civil disobedience is not always pretty, but often times it is necessary.

6. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I guess the nazi people won. They got exactly what they wanted. Sad.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I know. Isn't it creepy that these fools still exist?

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I wouldn't call the violence, vandalism, and arson that occurred civil disobedience. More like random criminal acts.

Toledo resident #1: "In protest of this group of people peacefully assembling as is their Constitutional right we should assault police officers, burn down private property, vandalize stores, and overturn cars."

Toledo resident #2: "Sounds good."

Lethal

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Here comes the right and their police state tactics. Im not for any Neo Nazi Skinhead M.F but iam for freedom of speech something the right wing doesnt want. They want everyone to think as they do. Everyone turn your bible to page........ Amazing that the anti protestors started this and not the skinheads. Something is wrong in this country when you cant have Freedom of Speech.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah I used to hang out with a lot of SHARPS in the '80s/early 90's. Pretty much for the express purpose of finding and beating the snot out of anyone who wore the red or white laces. I stopped after I realized that their violence was almost the same as the racist punk's violence... an excuse to get drunk and violent. Sure it felt good to put the smack down on some racist little bastards head, but I realized after a while that it wasn't making things any better. It did help reduce the numbers of nazis that would come to our shows I guess, which was the ultimate goal. But the penchant for more violence was just under that surface veneer.

All contributes to me theory: Hippies got it wrong for the right reasons., and punks got it right for the wrong reasons.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

So many oddball facets to this story (and stories like it):

There are always the residents who insist that "the neo-Nazis shouldn't be allowed to march". Well, this is America, and they're allowed to. Even a******s have rights.

It's always ironic when other people start the violence. As blaskillet said, it gives the Nazi idjits exactly the publicity they want.

And there are so many more urgent things worth protesting in this country. The fascism that is a danger to this country is not in the streets of Toledo, it's in the streets of Washington, D.C.

12. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

That's what comes of oppression. Add to that, a culture fascinated with violence and power, and the result is going to be ugly.

Sometimes civil disobedience takes a more peaceful form, the 60s are a good example.

Other times, it is downright ugly. Either way, trying to enforce a police state is not going to help matters.

13. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

We have our current leadership to thank for setting such a wonderful example of how to deal with unwanted groups who think differently.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is what happens when we lose the positive contributions of people like Jerry Springer, who work daily to trivialize race relations through the creation of Ku-Klux-Klan vs. Black Panthers talk shows.... :(

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I see less politics involved and more thugs taking an opportunity to act like thugs, IMO. I would wager the majority of the people when down there to protest something they thought was wrong and a handful showed up just to cause trouble. And once that handful started a riot the entire situation went to hell in a hand basket.

Civil disobedience, by it's definition, is passive and nonviolent. In this case civil disobedience could have been a sit-in blocking the path of the march.

Lethal